X

needing help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing help

i have a 94 katana 600 it was running good i took the engine out and took the number 2 and number6 gear out because i didnt have a second gear. put the engine back in and now it won't start. turns over and back fire but it doesnt act like it wants to start even with starter fluid. took the plugs out cleaned them aswell as the carbs (bowl, pin,ect.) i did have the engine upside down to take out the trans im lost any info or help will be greatly appriciated. thanks very much

Originally posted by gamecocks View Post
    i have a 94 katana 600 it was running good i took the engine out and took the number 2 and number6 gear out because i didnt have a second gear. put the engine back in and now it won't start. turns over and back fire but it doesnt act like it wants to start even with starter fluid. took the plugs out cleaned them aswell as the carbs (bowl, pin,ect.) i did have the engine upside down to take out the trans im lost any info or help will be greatly appriciated. thanks very much
    I'd say the upside down engine should be your first clue.. cleaning the plugs doesn't mean there's still not enough oil in your cylinders to foul them right back out again.. That was a no no without draining your fluids first. I'd say let it sit for a while and hope any oil up there finds its way home, then go with new plugs. Just an opinion.

Also... if you didn't have just second gear, why remove 6 as well?? Just curious.

Comment

i did drain all oil. i let it drain for about 24 hours before startinnng the projoect. the number 6 gear fits into the number 2 gear which caused wear on both. also after the job i let the engine sit in the bike for another 24 hours. ithink i might have a pickup coil problem or a battery or a carb problem i just dont know any other help? PLEASE????

Comment

Simple things to check.

Power at coils with the starter turning the motor has to be over 11v. If not, your not gonna start the bike with the starter.

Make sure you have the airbox and filters, and all possible vacuum leaks sealed off (petcock vacuum line is plugged off?)

Make sure the carbs have gas in them, and the levels are equal. You can check this by filling them (prime or alternate fuel source). Once full, remove the fuell source, and then start draining each one into a seperate container, and compare. (this will tell you if you have stuck needles, or improperly sealing needles, incorrect float heights, etc...)

Ultimately... troubleshoot. Rule out the simple and basics. Double check things like plug order, proper coil voltage and the wires to the coils are hooked up right. Verify your getting fuel, you have spark, and you have things properly connected.

Also remember... The choke adds fuel, and is not an air block off choke. The butterfly plates should all be fully closed when starting, or your leaning things way out (no open throttle unless your trying to clear a flooded engine).

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i did drain all oil.

Ahh, I do apologize, shouldn't have assumed you didn't. In that case it does sound like a fuel issue, which Krey has mentioned about all I'd have thought of as well, and then some. If none of that works I'll see about adding something more useful to the thread Hope it works out for you.

Comment

ok thanks also does anyone know were the hoses hook up? 2 lines have filters i know they go on either side of the petcock just not sure were the others 2 black ones go

Comment

You should check the WIki sometime....it's like an encyclopedia of Kat stuff......

Oh, and get rid of those filters. Pre's aren't supposed to have them and they interfere with the fuel flow.

Comment

does anyone live near laporte in?

Comment

clutch problem

i have a 94 kat and the clutch will not let the trans go into gear. it will start but as soon as i put it in 1st it jumps forward and turns off. any idea? thanks fellow riders.

Comment

i have a 94 kat and the clutch will not let the trans go into gear. it will start but as soon as i put it in 1st it jumps forward and turns off. any idea? thanks fellow riders.
                    sidestand switch can cause this complaint. cuts off engine when put in gear with stand down.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

ya it was taken off by previous owner. someone said clutch adjustment

Comment

I know that fuel filters on a pre can also cause a problem
                        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                        confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                        X