X

Pics of Summer Changes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by affliction View Post
    Performance mods on a Katana? I have been reading the fourms and for the money, it seems like if I wanted to go fast I should just buy a gsxr. Are there many performance mods that are fairly inexpensive but can yield some decent gains?

Thanks for all of the input, it is greatly appreciated.
    Au contraire, mon ami... Trying to convert a heavy, stee-framed, low-tech Katana into a super sport - I'd agree, that's an exercise in futility. Just get the Gixxer and be done with it.
    BUT (and that's a big "but"), there are a number of ways to eek out a bit more performance from your Katana that would make your sport-touring experience that much better.
    Carb jetting (go with Ivans), 5* timing advance (Factory Pro) would smooth out your powerband and give you more usable power. While I don't suggest the 520 conversion, a sprocket swap increases the 'giggle factor' by about 4% for each tooth you go up in the rear (and a new gold XO chain looks pretty sweet too). Shock swap in the rear and new springs in the front can add to your confidence in the twisties and make riding two-up more enjoyable for both you and your rider.
    Someone else can talk about doing a cam swap... I know nothing about them.
    Then there's always the possibility of stumbling across a 750 or 1100 motor and doing a swap...
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

how much extra hp does that stuff give you though and what kind of costs are associated with it? IMO spending a couple hundred bucks for only small gains isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, I would love some more power and ride control but it all comes down to if it is worth the costs associated. Im open to hearing others opinions.

Comment

how much extra hp does that stuff give you though and what kind of costs are associated with it? IMO spending a couple hundred bucks for only small gains isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, I would love some more power and ride control but it all comes down to if it is worth the costs associated. Im open to hearing others opinions.

To me it's how much you love your kat. If you plan on keeping it but want a lil more pep, the cost of the mods is worth it. if you're a speed junkie (and you don't appear to be), get the gixxer.

Comment

I agree with you. For what I use the Kat for (weekend riding, occasional back and forth to work) I don't need anything faster then what I got. I wouldn't mind a little more pull in the throttle but how much are we looking at for these types of mods.

Comment

the decals came off really easy just used a bit of goo be gone and they came clean.
            Where abouts in the NB you from. Have lots of family in teh Miramichi.

Comment

Looks nice! Good job!
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

looks good brother
                sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Thanks everyone. I love the Katana but I am wondering if I should keep putting mods/money into it or get a new bike altogether. Don't crucify me for that one.

Comment

I luv that color on them... looks good

Comment

the colour has grown on my a lot and I like that I have added a couple of black peiced to make a two toned sort of look. I was thinking about painting the rear swing arms black as well to go with the tinted ninja windscreen and black mesh I am looking to do this winter. So many modding ideas!

Comment

I would say the Ivan's kit is worth it. Somewhere around $100-125 and it makes a difference. Especially smoothes out throttle response and gets rid of some vibrations. Also adds enough umph that the butt dyno can pick up on it

affliction- check out my garage if you need more ideas. similar colored Kats too.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

hey cheriff,
                          I have been to your garage plenty of time getting ideas. Your bike has actually had a lot of influence on the mods I am thinking of doing. The mods that you have that I am thinking about are the tail swap, mesh and sliders, ninja screen and the carbon fiber tank protector which I unfortunately found out is like $300+. If I am feeling brave I also really like the way you split the front headlights. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

As far as the decals I was considering adding the GSXF in Chrome but I heard the raised ones are impossible to find.

Tokalosh should be able to help you out with those if you want them - check out his posting here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84495 It started in 08 but he still has them.
                            "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

yup thats a Kat all right

Comment

As an update I ordered the ninja windscreen and plan on doing the mesh mod along with it as soon as it gets here. I'm still up in the air about colour of the mesh but I am thinking black. After some research I will probably go jet kit and sproket next. Any advice on where to get them and what rear sprocket would be best would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X