X

Lean angle on Metzeler Z6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
    I have a bad habit of scraping the pegs, but I am still running stock tires. I might pick up Z6 or Avon Storm ST tires.
    Scraping stuff ain't because of the tires , it's because of the rider ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      Scraping stuff ain't because of the tires , it's because of the rider ....
      I know its not related to my tires, I just don't want to drag my knee off wearing jeans.
      Last edited by Dynamic; 02-15-2009, 06:02 AM. Reason: My Sig is missing??? OK fixed!

Comment

I'd suggest going to a trackday before you start worrying about gettting your knee down and using all the lean angle of your tire... After a day at the track you'll be glad you haven't tried to get away with running track speeds on the roads... (that often that is )

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
          I'd suggest going to a trackday before you start worrying about gettting your knee down and using all the lean angle of your tire... After a day at the track you'll be glad you haven't tried to get away with running track speeds on the roads... (that often that is )

Great suggestion...a buddy of mine is heading to the track and suggested I do some observing, then some riding.
          KATANA....It can cut through a tank!...no really! I saw it on the internet somewhere!

Comment

Add me to the list of people raving on the Z6's. Got mine mounted last week and by the time I had left my neighborhood I noticed a difference over the stock Michelins. Even something as simple as changing lanes seemed different. The bike is much smoother and responsive. I can't wait to get them scrubbed in so I can go for a more spirited ride on them.
            Originally posted by katanawarrior
            I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
              I know its not related to my tires, I just don't want to drag my knee off wearing jeans.
              Ah , but you don't HAVE to stick your knee out when you hang off . Just stick your *** out there as far as you can . I actually feel a little more comfortable these days keeping my knees tucked into the tank clamping on . This'll still help to get your weight inside where it's helping .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know Z6 tires are great, but I really wanted to know if anyone has pressed thier 98+ kat hard through the twisties on Z6 tires with high lean angles....my issue is that my turning capabilities are increasing with practice, but Iam not getting a good feel / feedback for how much more I can lean....signs that I may be approaching the katana with Z6 limits...without the bike answering the question for me.
                KATANA....It can cut through a tank!...no really! I saw it on the internet somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by darrell3535 View Post
                  but Iam not getting a good feel / feedback for how much more I can lean....signs that I may be approaching the katana with Z6 limits...without the bike answering the question for me.
                  what you might try is using one of those "greese markers" of a noticeable color and mark you tires with a line crosswise. Take it for a spin on the turns then look to see how much the marker wore off.

I don't know if ''greese marker" is the right name for it but it is a temporary crayon-like marker that can write on many surfaces.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    what you might try is using one of those "greese markers" of a noticeable color and mark you tires with a line crosswise. Take it for a spin on the turns then look to see how much the marker wore off.

I don't know if ''greese marker" is the right name for it but it is a temporary crayon-like marker that can write on many surfaces.
                    Lumber Crayon could use chalk also.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by darrell3535 View Post
                      I know Z6 tires are great, but I really wanted to know if anyone has pressed thier 98+ kat hard through the twisties on Z6 tires with high lean angles....my issue is that my turning capabilities are increasing with practice, but Iam not getting a good feel / feedback for how much more I can lean....signs that I may be approaching the katana with Z6 limits...without the bike answering the question for me.
                      See my original post:
                      As to the tires, you could put plastic tires coated in Armor-All on there and have more traction than a 10 year old Macadam. Z6's will be fine, I liked them just fine, I just don't like the way they wear out.
                      I have run them edge to edge repeatedly without issue, other than they will get greasy if you push them past their limits for an extended period of time, but they do come back fairly quickly. They also communicate well at the limit, as they will start to hop a little before they completely give up traction.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                      X