X

to Wax or not to Wax

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to Wax or not to Wax

I am new to biking and have a noob question concerning fairing care. My imaginary bike, soon to be delivered I hope has been sitting for some while.
    Could anyone please help me with product suggestions for fairing. Regular wax, boat wax, etc. I've looked some for posts related to this and have not found anything.
    I did order a shop manual and owners manual - suppose I should read them.

I used a spray on, rinse off type wax. Every 6 months or so.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I use furniture polish (Pledge, Behold, etc.). I have been using this type polish on my boat for years and Niue on my bike. Wipes on/off easily and makes bug removal very easy. I use it on the painted area of my helmet too. For the headlight, wind screen, and helmet visor I use Rain X windshield washer fluid. Again, wipes on/off easily.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

+1 on the furniture polish.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I've never heard of furniture polish, but why the heck not!

DownSouth, I wouldn't worry at all about what kind of wax to use; any kind of auto or boat wax will be just fine for these bikes. If we were talking about a nice, shiny Ducati I'd be a bit more careful. But not with a Kat.

You might want to consider getting an orbital polisher and using some rubbing compound on the plastics before you wax them. If they're looking a bit dull rubbing compound could help revive them.

I don't see a need for Rain-X on the headlight or windshield, personally. I think I'll give it a shot on the visor just for the heck of it, but as I recall, it's not recommended for plastics.

Comment

Noob

The reason for the weird question is that when I think of wax I think of slippery. When I think (guess I suppose,due to lack of prior knowledge) of bikes I think of not wanting to slide around. The bike i'm hoping to obtain looks like it could use a little shine.

Comment

Originally posted by DownSouth99 View Post
                The reason for the weird question is that when I think of wax I think of slippery. When I think (guess I suppose,due to lack of prior knowledge) of bikes I think of not wanting to slide around. The bike i'm hoping to obtain looks like it could use a little shine.

Yeah, never put anything on your seat or tires.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My wife says it's painful, but beats sha...oh, never mind.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Yeah, never put anything on your seat or tires.

Krey
                    Yeah, about that... Armor All makes my seat look brand new, but it is pretty slick for the first day or two! It makes body steering a whole lot easier.

Comment

You might want to use a 2 step cleaner and wax or there are some that are combined but if just use a carnuba wax or polish you are waxing over the dirt that that just washing will not remove.

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
                        Yeah, about that... Armor All makes my seat look brand new, but it is pretty slick for the first day or two! It makes body steering a whole lot easier.
                        Yeah, I was going to mention that ... I only did the Armor All on the seat once.

I pretty much don't use it anymore. I had some sidewalls crack and the shop said it was due to Armor All. Their suggestion was use it frequently, or better yet, not at all.
                        Last edited by katinvermont; 04-30-2014, 04:39 PM. Reason: left out info
                        Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                        Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I purchased and applied this wax last mid summer and it is everything they say it is. Easy to apply and remove, nice gloss and has lasted through many washes and a brutal winter on my car and still looks just applied on my bike after a season of riding and storage time. Still beads like new and dirt just washes right off. I only applied one coat. I got it from the place on this link but I would think you can get it from a lot of other places too.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax No. 845 - Not sure if you'll like it? See what Mike Phillips has to say about itHERE! Extreme insulation for automotive paint. Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax was originally developed for power companies to protect ...

Comment

Collinite is great wax. I've had it last 6-8 months on daily drivers. A garage kept and well maintained bike could easily see a year out of it. That wax was actually developed to protect electrical transformers, which is why its called insulator wax.
                            Something to keep in mind when waxing or detailing in general, is its 90% prep and 10% product. If you want to get the most out of it, you need to insure the surface is ready first. Pick up a clay bar kit and clay every surface before applying wax. You could also compound/polish with something like the Griots 3 inch polisher as well if you really wanted to take it to another level. I would recommend a clay treatment for sure though because it will leave your paint silky smooth, and will greatly increase the bonding ability of the wax, which will in turn increase the longevity of it.
                            Last edited by Mrclean81; 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM.
                            If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

Would polishing compounds be safe on the plastic fairings? I have never done so becuse I don't want to find out the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                              X