No announcement yet.
X

520 Conversion on a 99 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my opinion (strictly an opinion, mind you).....

The kat weighs almost 500 lbs and has maybe 70 hp...
    The GSXR weighs about 400 lbs and has maybe 120 hp....

If we all drove around all day at full throttle, constantly accelerating, it would be assured that the 520 chain would last longer on the kat. However, we don't. I think most people accelerate at a reasonable rate up to 60 mph several times per day. Think about this situation. Given that you accelerate at the same rate, to the same maximum speed, it takes a lot more power to do it with a 500lb bike than a 400lb bike. For this reason, I would bet that the 520 will wear out quicker on a kat than on a gsxr. HOWEVER, you'd have to weigh in the replacement costs to see if it's worth it over the 530 chain. Moving this big pig of a bike around is a taxing job....

I definitely wouldn't be concerned about the chain's outright strength.... as noted, the kat doesn't really have enough power to be worried about it. Hell, I rode around with a $25 non-oring chain on my 750 for several months, raced every week with it, and never had an issue.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well with all I've read I'm gonna go with the 520 conversion. Flame on or call me a rookie (well I am a rookie) but I'm also only a seasonal rider and I think it will do me just fine this season.
      02 Katana 600 R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        BP, what I say is that the Katana is not fast, I've never said it doesn't have power. It doesn't have a lot of HP sure. When you add the HP of the tuna to 500 lbs, it's NOT fast. It has the HP to wreck a 520 chain pretty quick though

If it has the HP to wreck a 520 chain, after 3 years, I haven't seen it yet.

But if I ever do wreck my 520 chain, I'll be the first to brag my a** off.
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          BP, what I say is that the Katana is not fast, I've never said it doesn't have power. It doesn't have a lot of HP sure. When you add the HP of the tuna to 500 lbs, it's NOT fast. It has the HP to wreck a 520 chain pretty quick though
          According to his maintenancebook Dad did this 520 conversion 16.329 km ago in september 2007.
          I just looked at the chain and the alloy rearsprocket, both are in superb condition and there is no note in the book he ever adjusted the chain in this timespan either. (which he would have noted, he noted everything he did)
          This bike DOES have a lot off rwhp AND it is a Katana explain why it doesn't wreck the chain.
          (BTW I have seen people wrecking a 530 chain in 20000km even less...)

/edit
          did a search.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by Anoucka; 02-17-2009, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I'm not taking sides here, just wanted to clear up one of the most misunderstood and ill-quoted concepts of physics on the net. And in regards to rotational inertia, gueestimate calculations do not work, and here's why;

Rotational Inertia = Mass x radius^2

So technically, removing a 1 million pounds at the theoretical exact point of rotation (r=0) would have zero effect on rot. Inertia. However, a 5 inch wheel of 50 lbs has less rot. Inert. Than a 50 inch wheel of 5 lbs.

Just try a simple experiment; hold a small weight in each hand and try to spin with your arms outstretched. Now try the same with your arms tucked in. Your total weight stays the same, but it's much harder when you increase the distance of the weight.

Reducing a few lbs of wheel weight is not the same as drivetrain weight (at small radii). In fact, any weight savings to drivetrain weight(at small radii) are extremely neglible (especially if we're talking about small percentages) and most changes even show on a dyno are too small to be out of the margin of error of the test.

And when I say I'm not taking sides, well I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to calculate ri for a chain, since some movement is rotational and some is lateral
            WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

Working...
            X