X

Front/Rear Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front/Rear Tires

Is there any problems I should have with running a 120/60-70 front and a 160/60-17 rear tires set on my '05 750 Kat???
    2005 Aprilia RST1000
    2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
    1998 Chevy Tahoe
    www.midwestguntrader.com

Those are both lower profile than stock. That will mean less ground clearance.
    Why do you ask, did you get a good deal on those sizes?

Comment

There should be no problem. The 120/60 front didn't seem to agree with my 160/60 rear tire as well as the 120/70 front, but it should give you no problems, and you may not even notice the difference in steering (very little).
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

120/60 is not rated for the load of the Kat. Better stick with the 120/70 in the front. The back is fine with a 160/60. Do a search for "tire size" or "biggest tire" on the site and you will get a wealth of information.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I have both a 120/60 on the front and a 160/60 on the rear and have no problems with them. Actually prefer them more than the 120/70's in front. Both are Pilot Powers and love the handling of them. The bike does sit about a 1/2 inch lower. Also, with the 120/60 in the front, it gives you a little more stability when riding. You will notice that the bike turns a little slower in the corners, but you won't notice it unless you ride her hard a lot. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I tried a search and got WAY too many post to muddle through.

I'm already running a 160/60-17 rear Shinko Raven on the rear and it was time to change the front. I noticed that the 120-60 was about $20-$25 cheaper than the 120-70 so I figured i'd ask about if it were feasable.
            2005 Aprilia RST1000
            2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
            1998 Chevy Tahoe
            www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Speedo would be of a bit
              I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
              --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

Tee speedo actually won't be off at all. On the 98+ Kats the speedo doesn't run off the tires. With my smaller tires, I tested the speedo and it was right on.

Comment

Speedo on the 05 as noted is driven off the front drive sprocket so the 160/60 tire is already making it a bit off. Then take into consideration the Kat's speedo already reading faster than actual and you'll be stacking on the miles even though not going as far. I'd guess about 2 percent or so.

Comment

Not to mention that changing the gearing also causes the speedo to be off on the newer kats.
                    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Working...
                    X