X

Check Tire Pressure Regularly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Tire Pressure Regularly

This thought goes back a few weeks ago, when me and my buddy ran up to the Catskills. My rear tire was all kinds of snotty to me on the cold roads and I figures, shoot - 8K miles is about as much as one can expect from Pirelli's.

Checked pressure when we got up there and again during the ride. Problem was I couldn't remember for the life of me what the proper tire pressure was for the Kat, single rider at about 180 lbs on Pirelli's. Hmmm - 31 psi up front and 34 psi on the rear.

"Hey, Burns (my buddy). That sound about right??"

"Yeah, a couple pounds off isn't going to make that much difference anyway."

I tried texting a few friends from the board, but surprise - absolutely NO cell reception at the hotel and on 90% of the ride. Texts I thought went out disappeared to the same place that all my missing socks go.

Well, I replaced the windscreen this weekend, replaced the mirror during the week and am going to take the Kat out this weekend. So, I figure better check and see what's what... I'LL BE A MUTH#$F$%#ING SUMINABIATCH!!!! 35/38 psi??? Are you F#$%ing kidding me??

She ran in her skittish uneasy way up to the service station. Spent a minute or two with a good pressure guage and viola - let's see what she does on the road.

I'll be danged. 4 pounds of air can, and in my case DOES, make all the difference in the world.

Lesson learned: Know your correct tire pressure and check it regularly.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

a buddy of mine claims that improper inflation can also cause vibration issues

gas station down the street just put in a pay air pump that charges a $1
    WTF ever happened to service ?
    you would think that they could provide free air concidering the corn holeing on fuel prices
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
      a buddy of mine claims that improper inflation can also cause vibration issues

gas station down the street just put in a pay air pump that charges a $1
      WTF ever happened to service ?
      you would think that they could provide free air concidering the corn holeing on fuel prices
      For me, it just felt like a completely different bike. But, since I haven't worn out a set of tires before I just figured that is what it's supposed to feel like when your tires go to shiat.... Turns out, I have plenty of skin left on them to get me to the next season.

I know what you mean, too, about the air thing. I go to Hess stations - the air is free around us.

Comment

I have a 2001 750 kat, with Dunlop sport tec tires. I have close to 9,000 mi on my bike. The book says 33 lbs in fron and 36 back. It really makes a difference. I weight 190 lbs add another 15 lbs of the suit you are looking at over 200 lbs. The other day we rode two up for over 100 miles 350 lbs aprox on the kat. The tires worked just fine.

Comment

Funny thing about Pirelli ....
          They told me (one of their reps via e-mail) a few years ago to run the Stradas on the Katana at 35-36/38-39 MINIMUM cold . Then in the article in Sport Rider or Motorcyclist this month the tire guy says to check them WARM , and recommends lower pressures than STOCK ! I have no idea anymore . But I HAD been running 35/39 consistently (right at the suggested min) , and checking EVERY day I ride . Today I ran with 33.5-34/37.5-38 , and for some reason I felt a TON better than usual ...... But I think that has more to do with ME than the bike .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I think MD may be on to something. I can notice a difference in about 2 psi. I found my zone, if you will, that I can smash the corners. If it's off even a touch, I lose ALL corner confidence. It's a wierd science, if you will.

Don't get me going on the difference between the Dunlops vs the Metz'... it's like a whole different bike. WAY different bike.

Just remember, you only have 2 wheels under you... air pressure is important

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Conti recommends 36 front, 42 rear cold pressure for the Road Attacks on the Katana's from what I've read. I've been running that for the past 2000 miles (most of it 2 up, 305lbs combined rider and passenger weight)and they feel great.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                I think MD may be on to something. I can notice a difference in about 2 psi. I found my zone, if you will, that I can smash the corners. If it's off even a touch, I lose ALL corner confidence. It's a wierd science, if you will.

Don't get me going on the difference between the Dunlops vs the Metz'... it's like a whole different bike. WAY different bike.

Just remember, you only have 2 wheels under you... air pressure is important
                Well , yeah , I'm sure the pressures are important . But my head ain't been right for a while . My internal tilt sensor's a little wacky , and I've been to a few dr's because of it . But I digress ....
                I've played with pressure in the past . I've run ONLY Stradas for the last 3 or 4 years , and have been through SEVERAL sets . ON the advice of the Pirelli rep , I'd run the same pressure for the past 2 or 3 years within 1psi . I never really noticed any differences unless a tire was REALLY low (like going flat ) . I was feeling good enough at the end of LAST season to actually get a knee down with said pressure . Not THIS year , though . But anyway , just food for thought I guess . Carry on ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I check my tires pressures two to three times a week usually and every time before aggressive twisty riding.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                    Conti recommends 36 front, 42 rear cold pressure for the Road Attacks on the Katana's from what I've read. I've been running that for the past 2000 miles (most of it 2 up, 305lbs combined rider and passenger weight)and they feel great.
                    When I had the road attacks that's exactly what I ran mine at. Now I'm trying the z6's at 36/41 with no probs at all.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                      Hmmm - 31 psi up front and 34 psi on the rear.
                      I can feel that difference massively -- entire bike gets "wiggle-y" (for lack of a better term) under me if the pressures drop below 34/36 on the Stradas or Z6's, because the tire will roll on it's tread instead of forcing the bike to lean as I shift my weight. Very disconcerting feeling, but one that I look for while n motion to figure out if I've caught a screw or nail or other puncture (just a wiggle of the hips and I know one way or other if I'm suddenly down on pressure).

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      Funny thing about Pirelli ....
                      They told me (one of their reps via e-mail) a few years ago to run the Stradas on the Katana at 35-36/38-39 MINIMUM cold . Then in the article in Sport Rider or Motorcyclist this month the tire guy says to check them WARM , and recommends lower pressures than STOCK !
                      (A) The pirelli rep was probably right for your particular bike's weight and tires (although 39 seems a little high with your waif-like figure -- I could see you 37 - 38 at the rear). The general advice matches what Metzeler and Pirelli's reps have told me in the past and is inline with what their online database says should be minimum pressures sans rider;

(B) Any article telling you to measure tires warm and run them low (esp. measured warm!) is either:
                      1. Referring to track days on SS bikes for maximum adhesion (at the expense of tire life) OR;
                      2. Dirt/trail bikes over bad terrain, OR;
                      3. Was written by an absolute moron (I'd never trust that magazine again -- bad editorial oversight, because the head editor should have never let it see the presses in a way that confuses readers) -- and is opening up the magazine to a lot of potential liability.

The problem with measuring warm is that the measurements can not, by definition, be consistent -- how are you to know the difference between 95 degree warm and 140 degree warm? That's a serious pressure difference! I can see running tires intentionally slightly low in very cold climates if you have short distance rides (say 3-4 miles to work & back each way) to speed up how fast it warms up, but the measurements should still always be made cold!

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

???

ok so stupid question ....

What would be the right pressure to run for me .. I run 38/40 seems fine but I have been told its too hard ????

the are Diablo stradas 160/60/17 & 120/60/17 I ride alot over 100MPHjust not sure what to keep them at

stupid I know call me a noob ???
                        my bio

6'10"
                        310LBS
                        I MAKE THE ROAD BEG FOR MERCY.... THEN I GO FASTER !

Comment

Originally posted by KATMAN34748 View Post
                          ok so stupid question ....

What would be the right pressure to run for me .. I run 38/40 seems fine but I have been told its too hard ????

the are Diablo stradas 160/60/17 & 120/60/17 I ride alot over 100MPHjust not sure what to keep them at

my bio

6'10"
                          310LBS
                          At 310 lbs before gear, in Florida, on a 98+ Kat, using those tire sizes in Pirelli Diablo's Stradas, 38/40 is appropriate, or even slightly low (1/2 - 1 psi low or so), esp. at Florida "highway" speeds (i.e. - triple digits).

I have no clue who called you a newbie, or is telling you it's too much, but on this bike (with it's high weight compared to an SS bike), high load weight, with these tires (Sports-Touring tires, not pure-sports tires), it's exactly the right choice.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-12-2009, 10:52 PM.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The bike sat for a few weeks and surprise - front and rear dropped 5 lbs... cold weather and no riding will do that to a set of tires.

Originally posted by KATMAN34748 View Post

my bio

6'10"
                            310LBS
                            What do you call a stupid noob who is 6'10" and weighs 310 lbs?

Uhhhhhhhh... sir?

Please don't hunt me down and kill me in the streets.... please!!?!?
                            Last edited by VifferJim; 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                            X