maximum output current from gsx750f

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maximum output current from gsx750f

hey all

purchased a little air compressor today and its small enough to pack in the bag whne going away on tour.

just want to know sumfin

i am putting a cigarette 12v lighter socket on the battery and wa wondering what the current output of the bike would be.

the compressor says it has a 10amp current draw.........that may be maxed out but anyways will the gsx750f's electrical system handle the current draw or could i cook the battery?

should i perhaps have the bike idling if i have to use it?

Roc

always a good idea, but when it comes to consumption remember it's amp/hour..

Comment

I'd doubt running a little compressor for as long as it'd take to fill a bike tire (maybe 2 minutes from totally flat ) would hurt the electrical system .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        I'd doubt running a little compressor for as long as it'd take to fill a bike tire (maybe 2 minutes from totally flat ) would hurt the electrical system .
        I'd have to agree here.. I seriously doubt that 10amp draw would pull a critical amount from the bike.. but I don't know what the out put is for the bike.. But, 10amps for 2min shouldn't do any damage.

Comment

have a look at the flimsy wires and imagine the little electrical motor inside the compressor.. now compare that to your Katana's electrical starter and the thick wires running to it. No way the compressor is going to require more power. OF course its always a good idea to leave your engine running, but it wont overload your electrical system.

Im wondering though, what the point is of taking it with you? Surely you can pressurize your tires at nearly every gas station? And if you do actually run flat, what you need is one of those spray things that instantly "repair" and inflate you tire. Thats worth carrying with you, to get you home. And yes, it works fine, I needed it once when I hit a nail. Still best to have the tire professionally repaired after that, and it won't work with large ruptures, but your compressor won't work with any perforation. I'd say, leave it home, and take a sealing kit thing (no idea what its called in english) with you instead.

Comment

Originally posted by 72Skinny
            Im wondering though, what the point is of taking it with you? Surely you can pressurize your tires at nearly every gas station? And if you do actually run flat, what you need is one of those spray things that instantly "repair" and inflate you tire. .
            Actually I have seen what Agent Q did with his compressor. I will fit under the seat easily. A can of Fix-A-Flat will not. I think the tiny compressor is a good idea. Hey you're out in the middle of Tenn. Yo come accross a hot blond in a corvette with a flat tire.. Pull out the compressor.. Next thing you know... Booowwww, kicka, bowwoww

Comment

thanks for the advice,

i will be getting a tyre puncture repair kit also to have with the air compressor.

i could have gotten the co2 cans but was told you need a few to refill a completely flat tyre plus you only get one go at them where hopefully the air compressor will be there for as long as needed or if i have a flat that i cant repair at least pull up every 50-100km's and fill her up until i get to a gas station

Comment

The excess power generation on a 98+ Kat is designed to be in the 250 watt range. Given a reasonable margin of safety, you should be able to draw 150 watts with no problems, which is around 10.5 amps nominally at a charge rate of 14.2 volts. The only real issues for concern IMHO is whether the wiring to the socket is suited for that high a draw, whether it's fused (should the compressor get wet in the rain for example), and a suggestion to run the engine if you can do so without overheating the bike while actually running the compressor.

I debated the same concept quite some time ago (whether to install a compressor), and decided to go with a combination CO2 & Manual mini bicycle pump for emergency use instead. I know from experience that I'll get a flat about every other year or so, and manually pumping up a freshly plugged tire once every two years won't kill me. Plus, it's small enough that I keep it strapped to the outside of my rear subframe rails, so it doesn't take up any under-seat space.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the reply cyber,

i also considered the co2 bottles but they were going to cost $9 each and $40 for the small hand pump.

the compressor cost $20.00 and the tyre plug kit $17

i opted for the compressor on the idea that as long as i looked after it, it would deliver air to me when i need it for my bike, bicycle and cars tyres.

its small enough for the bike and has a 3 year repalcement warranty....which for $20 doesnt really phase me but $20 is heaps cheaper than 3-4 co2 bottles that only work once. still co2 are a great idea

Roc

Comment

If you drain the battery, you can always push start....beats having a flat and having to call a friend with a truck...
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

lol....i look at it that unless your out in the wilderness all by yourself and 100's of miles away from a town or city and your battery goes flat your in deep crap.....................mostly my riding is close to a city or town of some sort and today most car owners have a jumper lead set but not a spare motorcycle tyre in their car.

plus idling the bike for 5 mins or more sshould be ok......10ins plus maybe not......but when your stuck on the road with a flat........ya gotta try what you can.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                        If you drain the battery, you can always push start....beats having a flat and having to call a friend with a truck...
                        He, that reminds me. I once left my parking light on, draining the battery. I asked my brother, who I was going to ride with, to help me kickstart it. He pushed it, I sat on it, put it in gear, unclutched, and off I went. When I looked in my mirror I couldnt see my brother.. weird. I check again, and suddenly I see him tumbeling on the ground right behind my bike !!

Clever as he was, he pushed my bike by grabbing that grab rail thing. When I accelerated, he was taken by surprise and rather than letting go, he hung on to it! Skiing on his boots for 50m. When I accelerated further, he just dangled behind my bike as a cowboy that fell of its horse with his foot stuck in that whatever you call it. Must have been a tremendous sight LOL I was doing at least 40-50Km when he decided letting go might be safest

Good thing he was all geared up, so he only had some minor bruises and his leathers where severely scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by roccop
                          i also considered the co2 bottles but they were going to cost $9 each and $40 for the small hand pump.
                          OUCH!

Here's the one I have (it wasn't $40, nor are the CO2 cartridges expensive -- BB gun type works):

Not suggesting you abandon your well-done solution, just a FYI sort of thing.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the link cyber,

the dealer we have is wants $9 per co2 bottle which i even think is steep in price.

i think i chose the compressor as an easy no fuss solution for a simple person as myself.

i agree with your advice and will probably in the future go with the co2 bottles.

Thanks again

Rocco

Comment

ditto thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                              X