Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help me get ready my Katana for the track!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get ready my Katana for the track!!!

OK, just replaced the fork oil with 20W Synthetic fork oil...

I like it, a little bit on the stiff side, maybe not good for the street, but finally the suspension does not feel like jelly!

"De-Californized" my bike, removed all the emissions related crap, and it is running a lot better, not quite right yet, but a lot better.

Tried to adjust the steering head bearings, and now I'm stuck...

(Hate the stupid steering head bearings!)

I can feel freeplay when braking, but not if I put the bike on some stands with the front wheel on the air. If I put my hand touching the steering head with a finger on the top triple tree, I can feel the freeplay when braking. And the "freeplay" is quite evident when going over uneven pavement (read: patched pothole over an already patched pothole).

Is that freeplay normal???

If I tighten more the weird nut over the top steering bearing (the round nut with the 4 slots) the steering gets quite hard, and the handling really funky because of the tight steering.

So I think:

a) It is normal?
    b) Steering head bearings, mostly the races, are shot?

I can't tighten it more, and even when I tried tightening a lot more, and the bike handled really bad (specially when trying to turn to the right at low speed, it would not want to go to the right). So I losened it a little bit, and it handles way better, but the "freeplay" is there.

Normal or shot stearing head bearing races?
    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Try fitting tapered roller bearings, it made my steering a lot better.
    )
    You're not old until you're dead - and when you're dead, it doesn't matter.

Comment

steering head bearings that are stock are quite soft. Over years of riding over bad pavement, they are probably shot. All Balls (brand) makes replacements that work very well, are harder, and fit the original spec sizes (and most important to you, are usually slightly cheaper than OEM).

If you rotate the steering slowly, do you feel any notchiness in the motion?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What is the part that wears, the balls or the races???

I always thought it were the races, not the balls. But I've already found a place that sells the balls quite cheap, I can get the balls for less than $10, the races would have to be OEM Suzuki.

And no, there is no notchiness in the motion.

Does anyone have the specs for the balls? (I need the size of a new ball so I can get the replacements of the same sizes)
        Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
          Both or either, depending on the circumstances. The All Balls brand kit includes both.

Sorry, I don't know the size of the ball bearings...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Süsser Tod

I always thought it were the races, not the balls. But I've already found a place that sells the balls quite cheap, I can get the balls for less than $10, the races would have to be OEM Suzuki.

And no, there is no notchiness in the motion.

Does anyone have the specs for the balls? (I need the size of a new ball so I can get the replacements of the same sizes)
            i can get the all balls taper roller bearing set for about 26 bucks it uses rollers instead of ball bearing much better last longer and take more abuse

Comment

Working...
            X