X

clutch adjustment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch adjustment?

At the engine for adjusting clutch is it loosing the assembly or tightening the assembly? The clutch is 5 years old and is fine but I am just wondering? Also where to get a new clutch can we get improved ones or just stock?

Joe
    sigpic

i am trying to keep up on the service of my bike trying to get it ready for the gap I now have 22k on it.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: clutch adjustment?

Originally posted by KAT6
      Also where to get a new clutch can we get improved ones or just stock?
      You can get either. Pads are available both stock and aftermarket.

The big decision on a replacement is whether to reuse the existing clutch springs, replace them with new OEM's, or go for Barrett's (which are much stronger -- makes for a harder clutch pull, more assured clutch engagement, especially important if you are pushing a lot of excess HP or tend to race a ton).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No personal experience, but from what I've heard is that the Barnett springs are great (but harder of course), but that the OEM pads are better than theirs...
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I ride hard in the twisties, so I shift quickly I have noticed some softness in the way the clutch grabs not so sharp any more. I will upgrade to a better clutch. Anyone have the link?
          When we all meet at the gap I want to have the bike better than new, I am looking for a 750 shock or the RF 900, I am upgrading to stainless steel brake lines with better pads ignition advancer and indiglo gauges.
          And right before i ride the 600 miles to Fontana new continental tires.
          sigpic

Comment

I ride hard in the twisties, so I shift quickly I have noticed some softness in the way the clutch grabs not so sharp any more. I will upgrade to a better clutch. Anyone have the link?
            When we all meet at the gap I want to have the bike better than new, I am looking for a 750 shock or the RF 900, I am upgrading to stainless steel brake lines with better pads ignition advancer and indiglo gauges.
            And right before i ride the 600 miles to Fontana new continental tires.
            If you tend to slip the clutch much, you may have glazed your pads. Or they may simply be going (Suzuki estimates for city riders, 20k is average lifespan on the OEM clutch; that number is obviously much higher for highway riders where there isn't much clutch use).

Continentals? Hmmm...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What is the best replacement clutch for us?
              sigpic

Comment

What is the best replacement clutch for us?
                I've always gone OEM with clutch plates, so I really don't have the experience to tell you -- and I've only burned through a couple in my 20 years of riding because I upgrade every three-four years normally to something new or virtually new (somebody else chime in here!). I would suspect the real question is how grabby you want it -- and that it will be one of the major friction pad manufacturers (i.e. - same people who make better after-market brake pads, since they are very similar materials).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X