Losing power at high speeds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing power at high speeds

Hello,

I couldn't find anything that quite matched my symptoms but I apologize if this is a repost.

My bike (00' 600 17,500 miles - stock except previous owner had a D&D pipe put on) seems to be running fine but recently has been losing power at high speeds. If I run over 80 MPH for more than 5 or 10 seconds the engine sound drops to a lower tone and then I start to lose power. I have to keep it pegged to keep going but the rpms and speed continue to drop. If I immediately back off the issue goes away and I can continue again at a lower speed. If I'm going up a a hill and can't immediately let off (was on the highway) it continued to slow until I stalled when pulling into a rest stop. After sitting for a minute or two it starts up as if nothing happened and I can continue along at 65mph.

Any ideas on what would cause this and the first thing I should look for?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Blurrxl; 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar

To me it sounds like you have carb issues, most likely cleaning is necessary! maybe check your plugs and air filter too.

Comment

I would be inclined to think that your fuel filter is starting to plug up. It flows enough for cruising but begins to starve for fuel when run hard. Another possibility is partially plugged atmospheric vents on the carburetor.

Comment

K&N or other high flow air filter
        Kinked fuel lines
        Faulty petcock
        Improper/partially clogged fuel filter.

Listed in order of probability.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I think it's due for a carb cleaning anyway so I'll get that done and replace the fuel filter and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            K&N or other high flow air filter
            Kinked fuel lines
            Faulty petcock
            Improper/partially clogged fuel filter.

Listed in order of probability.

Krey
            I just had 2 and 4 occur. Very easy to fix.

Comment

Working...
            X