Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Front end suspension swap- Can a 94 750 front suspension fit onto the 600 frame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end suspension swap- Can a 94 750 front suspension fit onto the 600 frame?

I crashed my 98 Katana 600 at around 40-50km/hr and bent my forks and triple clamps, and there's a possibility that the frame was bent as well but the shop said that they couldn't tell for sure. Since there's no shops around that bend back bent fork tubes I decided to look for a whole new set up. I found a 94 750 that had been dropped by the second owner the first day he had it and the damage seems to be only lights and body work, and for some reason he beat off the adjuster caps and ruined them so those would be the only part that I would replace in order to get my bike back on the road. My dad came with when we looked at it and we made some rough measurements and he said that there was about 1/2- 3/4 of an inch difference between the adjuster caps on the triple clamp. Would the 750 front suspension fit onto the 600?
    Last edited by arbouski; 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM.

Originally posted by arbouski View Post
    Since there's no shops around that bend back bent fork tubes
    You actually considered that as an option?

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      You actually considered that as an option?

I said that because some people like driving around with weakened fork tubes instead of new ones, so I figured adding that there are no shops around should eliminated any responses telling me to bend them back.

Comment

If your swapping the entire front end (triples and all attatched to them) then yes, same bearings/stem setup between all the Kats.

If you want to swap just a few parts, you will find alot of complete units work fine. For example, the forks will fit right into your OEM triples, but the calipers have to be swapped with those forks as they have different line ups for the bolt holes.

Just the fork tubes are close enough to be used, but all the lower internals are different between the pre/post I believe if your just rebuilding the fork tubes. There may be differences in lengths though. I know the pre 600 and 750 tubes are 11-13mm different in length.

Anyways, if you can source the entire front end... you would have all the parts you need to swap to your post kat and make it work just fine (with the exception of replacing wear parts like new seals, bearings, ect...)

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X