Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

One aspect of riding you want to improve on...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One aspect of riding you want to improve on...

So what's your weak spot, your area in riding that you need some work at ? Perhaps its just being a speed demon, maybe its your lines in cornering, perhaps you feel you brake too hard, or you're not a smooth shifter? There's many areas that we as riders need to always improve on so post up and those with more experience can offer up advice to help you out.

I know at the Gap last year, my lines were way off in the beginning of the week, and I could tell I had gotten somewhat lazy in my technique due to simply not finding enough good roads to practice on and not be aware of my lines and feet as much as I should. Im man enough to admit Im glad I got that wake up call and even though there still isnt all THAT many great roads around here, Ive got some and found a few new ones recently to help keep me in practice..not to mention to paying attention to every corner no matter how many times you've rode it before and practicing your lines everytime you go out riding can only improve the skill and take it to higher levels.

i need to work on my shifting, im to gentle ont he shifter leaves me missing a shift alot of times or in neutral.

also turns, since all the roads here are straight its hard to be good at the turns when i never get to do any besides 90degree turning.

i have good lines sometimes, but others im just way off so i need to work on that too.
    03 katanika

Comment

For me its holding a TIGHT corner, I am a little wobbly in the serious corners. I'll go into it hot and get the lean on and drag a knee if I want to, however, I guess I get a little nervous? I'll be going through the corner and kinda back off and the bike stands up a bit. I always thought it was becuase of my stupid steering stem bearings, now that they are changed its a million times better but I am still nervous. Lots of twisty roads around here but at the sametime I don't trust the harsh pavement.

EDIT: I would kill for some track time, but the closest track is like 7 hours away. I personally think it would help me a lot, I could concentrate more on riding and not worrying about the pavement or wildlife around the corner lol.

Comment

I need to work on my right handers, that and judging entrance speeds better.
        Kyle

Comment

I need to stop dropping my bike.
          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I need to improve at everything. I haven't been riding very long and it's tough get over the fear factor. the bike will lean much more than I'm comfortable with right now. I just need some seat time and many more rides with jimmah and jamie to teach me how to ride better.

Comment

ok, so where I should start.

I have a very very very bad habit. About 15 years ago, my brother was teaching me how to ride a manual car. He told me that I must disengage the clutch everytime I press the break- I guess he was trying to avoid me stalling the car. Since then, I have never drove a manual transimission again. When I start riding, I thought the same. I should disengage the clutch everytime I break....very bad and wrong habit, and I am working to improve it.

I would like to improve my take off at the first gear. I take off slow, I want to learn how to take off fast without droping the clutch.

Another thing is I want to improve my downshifting. I blip the throtle, but it is still not smooth enough

I am planning on going to a track day on september at Kershaw, SC . It is organized by www.sportbikeTrackTime.com and I hope it will improve my lines.

When I start riding 6 month ago, I was kind a chicken. I wasn't speeding much, slow down at the intersections, and look everywhere for potential hazards. After I get comfortable with the bike, I start speeding, cutting off cars (it is not as bad as it sounds), and acting like I am a GP rider. I know myself that I like speed, and I don't like driving or riding in straight line. If I drive my car in straight line, I get board and eventually I fall sleep while driving. Is there any cure for that?

Comment

My main problem is making 90 degree right turns at intersections. Half the time when I get to an intersection and I know I have to make a right I hope the light will be red so I have to stop. I make it even worse by taking routes to certain places that I know will limit my having to make a right turn at an intersection. When I'm forced to make the turn, I often find myself going more slowly than I should be. I don't have the same problem with left turns, but I guess that's because the turn isn't as tight. I dunno, I guess I just have to practice more. I know all the techniques - the head turn, SLPR, but I guess when there's a big ol' SUV charging behind me I tense up. I don't think there's anything more I can do to improve other than practice, right?
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I need to slow Wayyyyy down.

Lost a good friend yesterday.

Police release name of motorcyclist

Although it's not stated in the press release, Colin's death was the result of stunting. Specifically, high speed wheeliing. Colin was an extremely accomplished rider and was very capable performing this type of riding.

However, at an instant, tragedy can occur.

Bob
                  "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Right hand turns. I suck a$$ at those. I cant figure out what I doing wrong. Right hand curves even seem harder for me for some reason.
                    My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

I need to slow down on public roads.....

Would also like to work on my cornering skillz.

I am planning on going to a track day on september at Kershaw, SC .
                      On the 21st of May I will be at Kershaw for a US Desmo track day!
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Body position. I don't hang off nearly enough. I'd be knee down almost everywhere on my local track if I hung off correctly. Instead, when I get my knee down it's usually at the same time that my toe slider hits...which means I'm oooohhhh so close to dragging a peg as well!

I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Cornering in general. My left hand turns are ok, but my lines are still bad. My right hand turns are horrible. Bad entrance speeds, following my line...you name it and it's bad. And there are no decent roads around here to practice on. I might have to find out if they do any track days at the local track.
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                          -Terence

Comment

Thats one thing Ive been working on too, its getting my butt up off the seat at the right time heading into the corner. So its not too deep in the corner, and not too early that Im hanging off before the turn really starts.

Practicing my lines is something Im very conscious of and each time you get it right, you can just tell how easy the bike responds to you and the road and how much better it feels than when your lines are off and you end up have to muscle bike around the turn rather than just "ride" it around the turn.

Comment

I have been riding dirtbikes for a few years so my experiece in shifting keeping balance and braking is good not professional but good. i however really never had the dirtbike leaning hard going into corners. i get freaked out when i take a corner to fast and one time i started to merge into the other lane and had to force myself to lean harder to keep in my lane. that is my major issue. i need to practice taking turns better at higher speeds. i also need to pay more attention when riding and work on keeping at least 3 seconds behind the car in front of me. these are somethings i was ok with when i first got my kat but now that i have gotten used to the bike i seem to shy away from these areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X