X

97 katana 600 32000 miles carb probs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 katana 600 32000 miles carb probs

the bike has never ran 100. I didn't kno this. I thought it was off but didn't actually kno. its my fist bike. never road one. even thought myself to shift and everything. payd the guy and said 'hey how do I shift" just to give u an idea.... senc I learnd a lot. .......... (this was 8 months ago)
    ITS always been a lil rough to start....
    1) it was spungy thotle. like putt putt. i was going thru plugs.
    #3 mainly. opened it up, spring in the air vent. in #2 put it back ran better.
    2) plug 2 went out. went thru couple plgs. BLACK! checked coil it sparks. plug dose too just BLACK!
    3)I have sence cleaned them. and sinked them by HAND.

How its acting now:
    1) still black plug in 2.
    2) I had to give it more gas in 1st off bat. driving fast and CLUTCH
    it DIES. we turned up the idel to conter this. it idels @ 1200 then JUMPS to 3000... up and down but usally stays at 3000. IF I CHOKE 6000! but now just usally dies.

BUT!! going fast it hummmmmmsssss.... any ideas!? its my only transportation.
    thank u much
    Last edited by racelia; 02-03-2016, 07:40 PM.

I honestly have a hard time understanding anything you just said. Here's what I think you meant. You bought a motorcycle. You have no idea how to ride a motorcycle. It's never been over 100 (you should probably know how to ride before you worry about that). It's fucked up. Is that close?

Comment

It has trouble idling. Could be because the carbs are dirty.

What exactly do you mean you synced the carbs "by hand"? If you didn't use a sync tool, they are 100% guaranteed to be off still. This will not help with the rough idle at all.

The plug that keeps getting dirty: that cylinder is running really rich ( more fuel than needed). I'd guess you have a leaking float - either the height is set incorrectly, the oring is shot, or debris is clogging it open so it can't seal.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I honestly have a hard time understanding anything you just said. Here's what I think you meant. You bought a motorcycle. You have no idea how to ride a motorcycle. It's never been over 100 (you should probably know how to ride before you worry about that). It's fucked up. Is that close?
        I think he ment that the bike hasn't run at 100%.

Please buy some proper gear and take the MSF course
        Ok bike runs like crap
        Black plugs means rich (too much fuel)
        I would Clean the carbs and replace all the plugs and oil.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yes its not ran right. I've been up to 130mph. On 3 carbs. My carb 2 was closed all the way. I didn't kno this. Onwas listing the the problems and steps I have taken
          I have tryd vacuum leak with carb spray. And pucsh start to check compression.....
          I turned a screw to sinks them. Yes. Not by mechanical
          I have clean them.... I will try oring and float. I will post tomorrow or satday.

some
          Last edited by racelia; 02-04-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Question: if you've never ridden a bike, why are you riding at 130mph? Not good by any means. seriously!!
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by racelia View Post
              Yes its not ran right. I've been up to 130mph. On 3 carbs. My carb 2 was closed all the way. I didn't kno this. Onwas listing the the problems and steps I have taken
              I have tryd vacuum leak with carb spray. And pucsh start to check compression.....
              I turned a screw to sinks them. Yes. Not by mechanical
              I have clean them.... I will try oring and float. I will post tomorrow or satday.

some
              Here, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I hope I am...

Pretty good speed on 3carbs. I think it's on all 4 at some point.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-05-2016, 12:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic
                That's funny. A Katana 600 with perfectly clean carbs doesn't do 130.
                Also keep in mind that speedometers are more off the faster you go.
                I had my wife pace me in the minivan while I was going 80mph indicated on the Katana she said the van was reading only 70mph.
                At lower speeds im showing 5mph over what im actually going. So at 50mph indicated im only going 45mph.
                It really drives me nuts that its off that much.

Comment

Yea when I looked down it was at 120 that was when I started slowing down. Got a lil nervous. Lol I road from Mississippi to Iowa for thanks giving and back, thru freezing rain. All I have is a bike. That's all I ride. I just wanted one......
                  We tore the carb open again... All 4.. Can't find a problem. Lowered float needles and it wouldn't stay started. I am going to take it to have it synched Saturday morning. Well I'm try...... I bought a vacuum sync from o reillys but I guess its the wrong type or something......
                  I forgot to mention I notice that my MAIN FLOW FLOW JET needles 2 were 98s and 2 where 100s can this be a problem also? Will it matered once sync?

Last edited by racelia; 02-06-2016, 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There are MANY tiny passages in the carbs for both air and fuel that you can't eyeball. You REALLY need to do a proper cleaning of the carbs before doing much else or you could very well be wasting your time and money.

Borrow a car (or bike) for a few days, get them done and be far happier in the end.

Comment

Yea when I looked down it was at 120 that was when I started slowing down. Got a lil nervous. Lol I road from Mississippi to Iowa for thanks giving and back, thru freezing rain. All I have is a bike. That's all I ride. I just wanted one......
                      We tore the carb open again... All 4.. Can't find a problem. Lowered float needles and it wouldn't stay started. I am going to take it to have it synched Saturday morning. Well I'm try...... I bought a vacuum sync from o reillys but I guess its the wrong type or something......
                      I forgot to mention I notice that my MAIN FLOW FLOW JET needles 2 were 98s and 2 where 100s can this be a problem also? Will it matered once sync?

Yeah needle mismatch will affect the operation. What are your jet sizes and are the emulsion tube passage perfectly round, not oval in any way. If it won't idle carbs may still be dirty, syncing will help some.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

I took it to the shop. I gotta go back and drop it off next week.

They said, carburetor looks good. Sounds good. All four are actually hitting. Something with the fuel not getting enough. The spacers under " the spring thing" with the crankshaft are more then likely off. Maybe a short in wireing causing me to push Xtra fuel.
                        The mechanic said motor sounds good so its worth the time. Any thoughts?

Comment

Carbs are the problem 90% probability, 10% a coil going bad. The fueling isn't electrical so, that's not possible.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Maybe a short in wireing causing me to push Xtra fuel.
                            Haha.
                            Wiring has nothing to do with fuel on a carbed bike. Only on fuel injected bikes.

Comment

I took it to the shop. I gotta go back and drop it off next week.

They said, carburetor looks good. Sounds good. All four are actually hitting. Something with the fuel not getting enough. The spacers under " the spring thing" with the crankshaft are more then likely off. Maybe a short in wireing causing me to push Xtra fuel.
                              The mechanic said motor sounds good so its worth the time. Any thoughts?
                              I'd vote for using the Monty Python defense with this shop:

If that was the best explanation they could give you my faith in moto mechanics is restored to its previous low.

Comment

Working...
                              X