X

89 750 megasquirt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 750 megasquirt

Whats up people. What we have here is an 89 Kat 750. Im going fuel injected on this thing, because my carbs were gummed up pretty bad and I though "why not?". I have been using the thread that "The Steve" started to navigate my way through this. I will be using the megasquirt for fuel and spark, and maybe other stuff in the future.

I have been at this for quite some time working on this during breaks from school. I swapped in a gsxr 1000 swing arm, wheel and rear suspension. I am currently working on the efi. the throttle bodies are from a 2002 gsxr 600 and the gauges are cheap ebay junk.

Today I have been trying to finish the wiring for the MS and the gauges, I should be done tonight, and tomorrow I am going to run the fuel lines and try to start this thing.

The only thing I am concerned about is the ignition timing. What does suzuki run for total timing advance? what kind of curve? I know that there is a Dana ignition box available what do those guys run for timing? I plan on running around 35* of total advance at a the upper rpm range.

I would love input, questions, comments on timing or anything else that you may think that needs to be addressed.
    Attached Files

I'm impressed with your ability to get anything done on that bike. You look so small in that 2nd pic!

Seriously though, I'm sure people will be asking about that swingarm and rear suspension swap.

I have not tried a dyna ignition, so I don't know what they run. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell you what the full advance is, unless they've used a Dyna ignition. All that happens in the CDI normally, and no one really knows exactly what it does. Well, I mean, we know what functions it does. But it's a total black box kind of thing. What I do know is that with a full exhaust, gsxr cams, K&N filter, and a LOT of carb tuning, I had to take out my 5* advancer, and modify the pick-up plate to give me adjustable timing. I believe I'm around 2* advanced from stock instead of 5* now.

I'm not really a street fighter kind of guy, but I certainly respect all the work you're doing to this thing! Keep letting us know the progress!

Comment

Timing is not adjustable in the right sense of the word.

You can advance the plate, but its similar to rotating the distributor cap so I wouldn't call that "adjustable"
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Nice job on the swinger, looks good man. I'll be following this thread to see how the FI conversion turns out. Seems all who try it on a kat disappear from the forums before finishing. Good luck man, keep us posted
        1990 GSXF 1100
        2011 KLR 650

Comment

Ok so I've got the wiring connected, its not finished but its there. I've got spark while cranking. Tonight I put the fuel system in place and burned a basic configuration into the megasquirt unit, tomorrow I add fuel. The only thing im concerned about is the ignition timing. I am using a vr circuit for the ms1 v2.2 lm1815 and it kinda sound like it is hit and miss with this circuit. for some it runs good for others it has many problems user error could be a factor.

@ygoloh haha yeah thats my son he likes to help but he wont be riding anytime soon.

@krak yeah i got kind of carried away on the body I didnt plan to swap the swing arm but it was already apart so I went ahead and started cutting away, the front needs to come down a little but ill save that for later.

thanks for the kind words, ill add fuel tomorrow and well see how close this timing is.

Comment

I had some timing specs somewhere. I think it's like 15*BTDC below 1500 rpms. Not sure on the total but ill look at what I found out. I'm running my modded backing plate at -3* as in running 4.5lbs of boost with no inter cooler. But I did have it at +4* when I hade full exhaust and FP stage 1 jet kit.

Gotta ask how much u got in the mega squirt and throttle bodies and stuff?
            1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
            fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
            55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
            R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
            Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I bought most of this stuff last summer, but if I can remember right i paid around 170 for the MS, 70 for the throttle bodies, and nearly 100 for the needed sensors, wiring and tuning cable. oh your going to a fuel pump and regulator stuff like that. The total cost depends what parts you get and where you get them from. If i had planned to control timing with the MS I would have gotten the 3.0 board. I'm in less than $500 for the fuel injection setup.

Comment

Originally posted by olekat View Post
                I bought most of this stuff last summer, but if I can remember right i paid around 170 for the MS, 70 for the throttle bodies, and nearly 100 for the needed sensors, wiring and tuning cable. oh your going to a fuel pump and regulator stuff like that. The total cost depends what parts you get and where you get them from. If i had planned to control timing with the MS I would have gotten the 3.0 board. I'm in less than $500 for the fuel injection setup.
                That's not that bad but u have to assemble the MS tho. I already have the fuel injection pump and bypass efi regulator on my turbo setup. I was just wondering wat the MS goes for.

Comment

Today I went to start this thing up and it was sitting at 50 psi fuel pressure, ok thats not so bad. when I started cranking the thing over the sound changed and the cranking slowed. I thought that was strange so I started looking around, the battery voltage was good, the connections were tight then I looked into the throttle bodies and I saw fuel pooled near the throttle plates. when I opened the throttle plates the runners were full of fuel so I cycled the ignition switch again to energize the fuel pump and while the fuel system was pressurized the injectors were dumping fuel. After a quick look at the trouble shooting section of the megasquirt assembly guide I checked the resistors on the mother board and they are in the correct orientation. Next I did a quick search of the symptoms and came to the conclusion that i may have fried the fuel injector driver. While I was working on the brake/tail light wiring I left some of the wires exposed (bad man) I thought to myself "ill fix that when I get the engine running" WRONG! Anyway the power wire touched the ground and blew a fuse I didnt think much of it, I wrapped it in tape for a temporary fix then the the same thing happened when I was wiring in the gauges blew another fuse.
                  when I went to order another driver I was told that the part has been discontinued. haha just my luck. Well it took all day but I found one that will work but it looks like Im going to be delayed about a week. I guess its ok it gives me time to get some things painted.

Comment

damn man that sucks. I checked my info and its 13* BTDC below 1500rpms. I have no idea what the total timing is.

Comment

well I have been delayed a little more than a week, Sometimes its hard to set time aside for the bike. Since the last post I've gotten married, got a job(while going to school full time) and my car caught on fire. The bike had to be put off for a little while due to life. I do have some good news. The injector driver that I fried was supposed to be obsolete so I compared the characteristics of the component to some others I found online. When I received the part it had the same part number as the one that came with the megasquirt. After I replaced the driver the fuel injectors held pressure but when I cranked the engine I was getting an inconsistent spark. what I did was plug the cdi box back and I'm running fuel only right now. I plan on tuning the fuel portion then adding spark later.i did take a quick video of the bike running very rough. I have not yet started tuning, the bike has a long way to go before getting back on the road but now it will start. Don't worry about the exhaust I just slid that on because it was so loud. Tomorrow I'm going to wire in the wideband O2 and start dialing the idle.

well I'm having trouble posting the video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dOf1PlaBg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dOf1PlaBg[/ame]

Its not the best video but I'll post more when I start tuning
                      Last edited by olekat; 06-23-2013, 01:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Congrats! It's aways work. But u could have had carbs and the bike running pretty good a long time ago! But still glad to see what your doing!

Comment

yeah I could have used carbs but I wanted to try this megasquirt out. Ive been wanting to inject the Vette but was unsure about using this megasquirt so I am using the kat as a guniea pig. MS3 and an ls1 would be sick but one at a time for now.

gsx600f hows the turbo setup running? I've got a K03 from AUDI 1.8T sitting around and its looking like it needs some use.

Comment

This pretty sick. I was wondering if there was anybody that had tried this. We used the megasuirt system in a school project to make a drag snowmobile. We tried to swap a gixxer motor in for the snowmobile's motor. I didn't get to mess with the megasuirt to much but we got it running.

Comment

I haven't taken the bike out but it is running good at idle(14.5 afr) and its going a little rich through the lower rpm range but that can be taken care of when I take it out. the bike is still in the garage because I'm building a turbo manifold out of schedule 40 pipe, Ive got a K03 from an AUDI 1.8t that I'm going to be putting on it. I plan on just running the exhaust straight out the side of the turbo. I know that its going to sound pretty loud and raspy but I think it will be a baby monster. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to route the intake but Ill get to that after I finish the exhaust it may look strange but I'm not too worried about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X