X

katana 600 running issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana 600 running issues

ok start of its a 91 600 katana and i had the carbs and the petcock rebuilt ran awsome idled amazing the the petcock started to leak and bike started to idle a litlle funny and idle like it was missin (was kinda jumpy). took bike apart figured out the petcock screws on the back were loose tighten no longer gas leak. The problem with the idle is not gone though it idles around 1300 but sounds like a little bit of a miss then sometimes it will slow the idle and and die but when ur driving it it runs fine except and idle. I know its not the carbs im thinkin maybe the petcock is the problem even though its no longer leaking. Anyhelp would be great.

Originally posted by drock1287 View Post
    ok start of its a 91 600 katana and i had the carbs and the petcock rebuilt ran awsome idled amazing the the petcock started to leak and bike started to idle a litlle funny and idle like it was missin (was kinda jumpy). took bike apart figured out the petcock screws on the back were loose tighten no longer gas leak. The problem with the idle is not gone though it idles around 1300 but sounds like a little bit of a miss then sometimes it will slow the idle and and die but when ur driving it it runs fine except and idle. I know its not the carbs im thinkin maybe the petcock is the problem even though its no longer leaking. Anyhelp would be great.
    Uh, it IS the carbs. Why would it not be? If you had high RPM issues and it wouldn't drive right, THEN it's the petcock not flowing enough fuel. Petcock is fine, you pilot circuit is dirty.

Most likely, if you had a shop "rebuild and clean" the carbs, they didn't do it right. 90% of shops don't. Did you have the carbs synced after you got them back?

Comment

yes the carbs were synced the problem didnt start untill the petcock started leakin the carbs were cleaned right i promise i know the mecanic who did the work. i know most dont clean them right im just thinkin its the petcock i ordered a new one maybe it will fix the problem im not sure but its my best guess at the moment

Comment

I'm telling you right now: Driving fine and poor idle is not a petcock issue. Petcock issue is good idle and crappy driving, as it's not flowing enough fuel. Your problem is in the carbs. I suspect it's float needles or a dirty pilot circuit. Order a new petcock, but the idle problem won't go away.

Comment

yes the carbs were synced the problem didnt start untill the petcock started leakin the carbs were cleaned right i promise i know the mecanic who did the work. i know most dont clean them right im just thinkin its the petcock i ordered a new one maybe it will fix the problem im not sure but its my best guess at the moment
          When you turn your petcock to prime, does fuel come out of the lines? If so, you have one or more floats that are not set correctly and/or one or more float needles that are not seating. You can further check this by, with fuel in your carb bowls, disconnecting the fuel lines from the petcock and blow on them. If you can move air and/or hear a bubbling sound you have a float/needle problem.

If it passes the "blow test" you have other problems, but they are carb related. The only petcock problem that can affect how your bike runs is if it's not flowing enough gas, in which case it would be lean, the rpm's would rise or be high, not gradually dropping like what you have.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

thanx for the advice the other other thing that i was thinkin is moisture in the fuel as its been very humid here lately but i doubt that could have anything to do with it and as far as the dropping it will drop from 1300 to about 900 and the go up for a few min the drop and sometimes die but for the most part it idles good just sounds like it and a little miss not sayin u guys are wrong or anything

Comment

thanx for the advice the other other thing that i was thinkin is moisture in the fuel as its been very humid here lately but i doubt that could have anything to do with it and as far as the dropping it will drop from 1300 to about 900 and the go up for a few min the drop and sometimes die but for the most part it idles good just sounds like it and a little miss not sayin u guys are wrong or anything
              So you gonna look at the carbs or deny that's the problem? Look, even the guy that does my carbs makes mistakes sometimes. (That's me) CHeck for vacuum leaks, but most likely it's in the carbs. Maybe you put them in wrong, maybe there was crap in your gas tank, maybe it's a vacuum leak, maybe the A/F screws need to be adjusted, hard to say until you LOOK. BTW, they should be at 2.5 turns out.

However, I'm putting my money on either the pilot circuit is dirty, the float needles need replaced, vacuum leak, or the floats aren't adjusted right.

I can absolutely tell you it's NOT the petcock.

Comment

If I cared, I agree with you. But I don't.
                Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                So you gonna look at the carbs or deny that's the problem? Look, even the guy that does my carbs makes mistakes sometimes. (That's me) CHeck for vacuum leaks, but most likely it's in the carbs. Maybe you put them in wrong, maybe there was crap in your gas tank, maybe it's a vacuum leak, maybe the A/F screws need to be adjusted, hard to say until you LOOK. BTW, they should be at 2.5 turns out.

However, I'm putting my money on either the pilot circuit is dirty, the float needles need replaced, vacuum leak, or the floats aren't adjusted right.

I can absolutely tell you it's NOT the petcock.

Comment

im not denyin anything i just was not thinkin that was the problem i was just ehxausting other options rulling other things out

Comment

Working...
                  X