Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Debating wrecked Kat, Looking for advice!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating wrecked Kat, Looking for advice!

Hey everyone, I joined the site because I've recently been looking in to buying a Katana. I've found all kinds of useful information digging through here, but now I'm making a post seeking advice from people on the forum, as you seem to be the most knowledgeable group I could find regarding this bike in particular! I'll try my best not to make this super wordy, so here's the lowdown-

Came across a guy who has a 2001 Suzuki Katana that has been wrecked. It's soon to be winter where I live, so I won't be riding it until 2017 regardless, and I was kind of thinking a project like this could be fun. I have plenty of previous wrenching experience, but I've never worked on a bike before, nor ridden one for that matter. (Have ridden dirtbikes) So i am pretty much 100% noob across the board. (And I've read pretty extensively postings on this board about Kats as beginners, I think it would be a good fit for me.)

So anyway, I don't have a lot of info on the bike, I asked him how it was wrecked and what the damage was, and what he was asking for it. Here is, more or less, what he told me-

"Hit some gravel at 30mph, rear tire slid out, bike went down on left side."

He also said that he for sure knows the stator cover, left handlebar, clutch lever, plastics, and shift lever needs replaced, and he suggested the stator may need replaced as well. He then goes on to say that he wasn't really sure how much he wanted, he was going to strip the bike and make it a stunt bike, but he'd be willing to work something out, so make him an offer.

(I should mention that the information on the Katana was not even in its own listing, but rather at the bottom of another motorcycle listing, something like "oh yeah, and I also have a wrecked 2001 Katana." The other bikes listing is 2 months old, I think dude must have forgotten it was on there lol)

I replied to his email with some additional questions, such as weather or not the title was clean or salvage, and weather it was a 600 or 750 (Any way to tell from pics?), but for now I only have this slightly vague information, as well as the pics he sent along with his response. I would wait to get the information before posting on here, but it is in a city i don't go to often, and I will happen to be there with a truck and trailer over the weekend, so I need a little help!!

HERE are the links to PICS.

So I may be asking a lot, but here are my key questions for you guys.
    (TL;DR)
    1. If I've never worked on a bike before, but am mechanically inclined, is there any reason not to take on this project?
    2. You guys have the eyes for this. Does anything in the pictures seem off, or give any cause for alarm?
    3. If there's no problem with question 1 and 2, then the third question would be, what would you guys think a fair offer would be? I do not want to offend the seller. Rather, how much would you be willing to pay for this bike? What would be your clean title price, and what if it is salvage?

I really appreciate any and all feedback, and thanks for the time yo!
    -Krom

I wouldn't offer anything over 300 and that's being generous. It's going to likely need close to if not over $1000 in parts.
    New tires
    Carb rebuild from sitting for so long + rebuild kits
    All the parts you already listed,
    A new wiring harness is not out of the question, or at least some soldering/repair work

This isn't counting possible bent forks (which should also be rebuilt anyways) or even touching the plastics.

Lots and lots of work. If you really need a project, go for it. But it won't be a cheap one.

Also, can't tell from the pics if it's a 600 or 750. The 750 has 3/4" bar rise and a shock that's more adjustable. Can't see enough of either to tell.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Kats are great bikes and very reliable once they're up and running.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I agree. From what I see, starter cover, shifter, pegs, plastics, signals, possible headlight bracket and headlight (depending on how busted up the back of it is + severe maintenance tires, chain, possible sprockets and R&R the carbs and forks would be well over a grand if done right. Having built two from a poor condition, they would have to almost pay me to take it. $300 would be an acceptable price here, maybe a little more or less where you are.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-11-2016, 10:22 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That would be a 600 from the pictures.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Looks like he may have been going a little more than 30 mph from the amount of damage

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
            That would be a 600 from the pictures.
            I bow to your superior knowledge. How'd you ID it?
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              I bow to your superior knowledge. How'd you ID it?
              Look at the 3rd picture. The 600 is the only Katana that has a heel guard like that. The 750 heel guard is part of the rear set. Just for the record, that project is a giant hunk of shit, you'd have to pay me to take it.
              Last edited by arsenic; 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your quick responses! I've found the information very insightful. I was kinda thinking about offering around the $500 range, so thanks for helping me out! I didn't even consider the wiring harness, or the fact the carbs would have to be rebuilt. I think I am going to make the guy an offer on it, I still think the project sounds like it would be fun. I'm not hugely worried about cost, I can break it down over the next 6 months or so, as I likely wouldn't want to ride it until next March or April anyway. Maybe once I get to wrenching on it, I'll have similar opinions to those of you who would have to be paid to take it, lol.

If he doesn't like the offer, I'll just keep on looking for one, so sooner or later I can make a post on here as an actual Kat owner!

Also, thanks for the ID, I'm fairly relieved to hear it is a 600 tbh, figure it would be better to learn on than a 750cc.

Thanks again, and I'll post back here with an update of how it goes!

Comment

I hit sand in a corner and had the bike slide out at 35ish mph and slide across 3 lanes into a slight ditch and bounced into a chain link fence. And it had way less physical damage than the bike in those pics.
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    Look at the 3rd picture. The 600 is the only Katana that has a heel guard like that. The 750 heel guard is part of the rear set.
                    That is how I knew.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                    X