X

HOLY FROSTBITE!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daithi
    Why does the Floridian have colder weather gear? Now Germany sure, but Florida?
    j/k

Its hanging around 34-40 F in Pullman and I dont want to give up riding. But I cry a lot
    One word: Acclimatization...

You already know the reasons:
    (A) It's not the only place I ride;
    (B) It does get down to freezing here for about a month a year.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use the Aerostich Warm Grip Wraps since they transfer between the bike easily. They work great! One of the best $45 ever spent n riding gere I think!

Ron
      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

You suck Atlanta boy.

Comment

What do you hook up for power ? Direct line to battery with some kind of quick-connect thing ? And some of those people mentioned long lines dangling from the bars . Esay enough to deal with ? Do they make the controls feel any different ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I always liked soaking my hands in hot water when I came in from the cold , but I'm told that's not a good thing to do .....
            How in the world do ur hands not fall off!! that sudden temp change to your extremities makes them itch something awful too !

Comment

Well , I guess they DO itch a little bit when I do that . But I REALLY like the way it feels . Kinda hurts and feels good at the same time , like poking a sore muscle .

Comment

I got a pair of Hot Grips hooked up last week, and after 120 miles over the past few days, absolutely love them. Down to 45, uninsulated Deer Sports are fine, and with insulated gloves, down to 35 works ok as long as you are not continuously covering the controls. Still sorting out how to go below that; lobster claw overmitts and DR-style handguards are on the list.

Wiring was fairly straightforward, and would have been even easier if I had powered them off the horn circuit. I ran power off the aux power drop in the tail (nice feature of the ZRX, but while it is fused, it still isn't switched) instead of the horn because the wiring was way too tight to get to easily for a splice, and put in a relay tapped into the front running lights with these. I got the T-connectors after most of the work had been done, but having seen the design, they would have been easy to tie into the existing hot without the extra lead all the way to the back to the bike, and would have saved wiring the relay in, too, since the horn is a switched circuit. No loss, since I put in a pair of 12 gauge home runs to the starter relay for future lighting work at the same time, but I wish I had waited to see how the Posilock connectors would work and fit in to save the mess of having another relay and ~yard of wiring under the fairing.

If the horn circuit is accessible/usable on a Kat, the wiring part should be a 15 minute job--add an hour for grip replacement and zip-tying everything, plus time to deal with platics.

Comment

I would have to say try a snowmobile store. They have a handlebar gaunlet that does a great job in frigid weather and they are large enough that you can wear another pair of gloves on your hands.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    What do you hook up for power ? Direct line to battery with some kind of quick-connect thing ? And some of those people mentioned long lines dangling from the bars . Esay enough to deal with ? Do they make the controls feel any different ?
                    For the grip wraps, the connector is the same as most battery tender and since my bikes all have that, it is a easy, fast connection. Now, for one bike, I would route the cable under the fairings to under the instruments or something but that makes no sense for me to do it AND be able to transfer them from bike to bike, so I route through the straps of my tank bag to the front.

The control cables get routed around everything up front and I use velcro strips to keep things from flapping around.

Far as feel goes, I can use light weight gloves with the wraps so it really feels no different than using heavy winter gloves otherwise.

I would say the biggest issue is to remember to turn them off or you WILL drain your battery. I got into the habit of just unhooking them when I stop to avoid that.

What I REALLY like about these is that I don't have cables attaching me to the bike.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

just buy any clothing that is made in canada.....we are the masters of cold weather.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Umm, snowmobile clothing

TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Sorry Thom , I can't see spending $400 on a jacket I'll only use a couple months out of the yera . Besides , the weakest link for me is gloves and scarf . My other stuff does quite well (LAYERS !!!) . Long johns under leather pants , snow pants over those . Wool socks , sweathshirt , leather jacket , windbreaker jacket over that . Then a scarf tucked under there (until it comes undone ) . Gloves and scarf are about the only things not cutting it for me right now .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Sorry Thom , I can't see spending $400 on a jacket I'll only use a couple months out of the year.
                            How about looking for something like this come spring or early summer when people are trying to clear out winter inventory? I know that's how I picked up my winter gear cheaply...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , but in the meantime , it's COLD outside NOW !

Comment

I think I officially turned into a popsicle tonite, rode the bike home, 20 degrees without the windchill ! but thats the sign of a true rider, right right?

Ive worn snowmobile suits while riding before, kinda bulky but I definately stayed warm.

Comment

Working...
                                X