X

Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain

Well I had the shop I use order me a new chain and sproket set I rode up today and had them put it on.I knew I need a new chain due to it stretching and unable to get it to seat right in the teeth.Well man it's even rides better quiter I was hearing a noise unknown it's was the chain roaring also hitting my stand.I rode the 75 miles home and it's was great. I love the Kat the more i ride it.Total cost $174 put on.
    1998 Katana green Wileyco pipe,K&N filter,Pilot powers.

Yes, a new chain and sprockets does help!
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Which chain did you get? Did you keep the standard size sprocket or perhaps go up a notch?

That chain must have been all kinds of loose for you to notice it hitting your stand !

Comment

I got a Rand K i think thats right the stock size.

Comment

Few people realize that a crap chain can easily sap 10% of the power output of the engine and cause a lot of noise... glad to hear you got it all taken care of Just remember not to over-tighten it (a lot of shops do that, knowing they'll get more business later as a result -- run your 98+ Kat chain at 1.0 to 1.1" inches of slack on the centerstand), keep it clean and lubed...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Clean and lubed is the most important part of chain life. 1" is a real good setting and will not rob the bike of any power. they recommend 3/4 to 1", don't ever set it at 3/4. you will notice power difference, atleast I did and be sure it is a true 1". Spin the wheel and check it in a few different spots. I recommend using Chain wax instead of just chain oil or lube, take the bike for a ride for about 15 minutes and put the wax on it.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Wax or lube..as long as you take care of it, it will treat you right for a long time.

Personally I prefer lube than wax.. uh, nevermind

Comment

Thanks Guys it's feels like it has more power lol.

Comment

where did you get the chain? local or Internet? I need to replace mine as well....Thinking the sprocket too, but I have to check them out for wear first...

Comment

I use Maxima Chain Wax and am very happy with it. It does'nt fling off too much.

Comment

I have a local shop not a dealer I order all my stuff thru he beats internet pricing and I rode it up 45 min later there done. $140 + labor + tax came to $174. I know I get some good deals with them since all the guys at the shop race Motocross and I am the Paramedic for the Alabama series so the cut me a break.

Comment

Did that price include new sprockets also?
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

$140 for just a chain and you got RAPED . $140 for chain AND sprockets ain't terrible .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X