X

Turn Signal Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Problem

I am experiencing an odd problem with my turn signals on my 2001 600 Katana (all the bulbs are new and functioning).

Problem:
    -Left signal blinks when key is turned on, stops working entirely when you move the signal switch on the handlebar to the right, will not blink either direction after that. (it was previously the right turn signal that would blink on Wednesday, but same problem)

-Fiddling with wires and fuses sometimes allows the turn signals to work perfectly, however, signals fail once bike is running for a couple of minutes/ en route.

-When bike is running, turning on turn signal (either side) causes the headlights to momentarily dim.

Background:
    The fuse was blown, so I changed it out for another, and my turn signals seemed to work fine. It was then discovered by my mechanic (did a safety for me) that there were two wires that were no longer insulated, and were touching (wires went straight into the turn signal on the left side at the back of the bike. These wires seemed to be shorting out and they thought it had blown the fuse, so the fuse was replaced, and the wires electric taped so they were not touching. I picked up the bike (had carb work done too), and while riding home discovered that my turn signals were no longer working at all.

At my destination, I fiddled with the wires, and the signals worked - until I had been riding for two minutes, when they stopped working entirely. I have double checked the fuse, and ensured that the wires are not touching, I do not know what else to do.

What else could be causing the problem described above? Battery?

Thanks in advance!

Check your flasher?

Long Live the D

Comment

What is a flasher? The signals have no problem blinking sometimes, but will fail entirely others.

Comment

Originally posted by RH55
        What is a flasher?
        The flasher relay, You have dirt or a short, you need the schematic and sort it out.. No short cuts IMO.. Sorry

Comment

Working...
        X