X

gauge wiring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gauge wiring

I just bought a volt gauge...does any know a good spot to tap into a ignition lead?
    ^_^

Depends -- have you disabled the fan & fan controller yet? If so, the hot power lead to the thermal pack for the fan controller (front right of the engine, just outside the frame) has a great hot lead to tap off of that is ignition controlled. The negative wire really should be wired all the way back to the negative post on the battery.

Alternatively, I sell 6-gang fuseboxes for adding accessories, and have a sepcial bracket available (well, most days -- out of stock right now) that places it directly above the battery, nestling the existing bracket perfectly.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I disconnected the fan a few weeks ago and I did read over that the lead on the right side is a 2-color orange/white or orange/black...orange something lol.
      ^_^

Comment

Grab a volt meter, set it to DC volts in a range higher than 15, and check orange/whatever to the negative terminal on the battery with the key off, then flip the key on and recheck. The right one will give you over 12 volts only with the key on.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The orange/white checked out above 12v so I ended up using that one. Before I mounted the gauge, I checked everything out and it was working but when I mounted it in, I wasn't getting any juice to the orange/white lead. I was like wtf?? lol I rechecked the connectors and I traced the wires down and checked the fuses and everything checked out ok so I was completely mind boggled...
          Well, I realized when having the key turned in the "on" position and having the bike in gear, cuts the juice off to the orange/white lead.. If it's in neutral, the gauge works w/ the key "on" and the gauge does works properly when the bike is running..
          ^_^

Comment

Working...
          X