X

would like lower RPM's on the highway

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would like lower RPM's on the highway

I've looked on here for recomendations on what I need to make my bike ride on the highway with lower RPM's,but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. So do I need a smaller rear sprocket & shorter chain? for example I wanna go 100 in 5th with it not winding so much. BTW this is on my 06 750.
    Thanks for the help

The first applicable question is why?

If it's gas saving, it won't be a huge difference.

If it's just to lower engine RPM, remember that motorcycle engines redline at higher RPM and are designed to run at higher RPM..

Here's a handy chart to compare how much you could reduce RPM

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Is there a specific reason you would like to do this?

You could go with a lower tooth-count on the rear sprocket, but you'll be sacrificing your low-end performance.

Comment

I want lower rpms. I wanna be able to hit 80 in 4th or 5th without winding it out so much. Maybe I'm being retarded, but on my 02 shadow that I used to own everyone told me to do it because it was such a smoother ride. Didn't know if maybe same thing applied to my Katana. T

Comment

Originally posted by Fishermanz View Post
          I want lower rpms. I wanna be able to hit 80 in 4th or 5th without winding it out so much. Maybe I'm being retarded, but on my 02 shadow that I used to own everyone told me to do it because it was such a smoother ride. Didn't know if maybe same thing applied to my Katana. T
          I'm not sure I really understand your post. From my experience with my Kat, it cruises best on the hwy at 120khr ( 72mph) and that's at about 6-7K rpms.....not sure......depends on the headwind. The sixth gear is there for a reason. The engines were designed to run best between 6-8k if I'm not mistaken....so you'd actually be harming your bike.
          Even on the R1..... even though I can get to 70mph in first, it's not really a comfy ride. I'd rather cruise at the same speed (72) ....in 5th as it's all it has gear wise.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

That's why I asked I'm now going to forget about putting a different sprocket on it & leave it the way it is. Why ruin a good thing right!
            Thank You all

Comment

One thing I can recommend to improve your riding experience - earplugs. Try them out. A soft set of 32dBa disposable plugs will do very good things for you. I promise.
              "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

On my 04 750 I went with a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 160/70 rear tire. I'm very happy with the results for my type of riding. The sprocket did not require a chain length adjustment and the part was found for free. The rear tire was done for maintenance so was a planned expense. The better fuel mileage while minimal is noticeable without a great loss in stop light acceleration.
                Just my personal experience, yours may vary.

Comment

Working...
                X