X

bike finally started

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike finally started

So let me tell u the story of how I got my bike to finally run!
    I bought my first ever bike in march this year.. 2003 katana 600 for 4 grand. The guy started the bike hurting of me, and me not owning any vehicle before though "woohoo it runs then must be great".. Little did I know, it would not for the life of it start.. It would crank and crank and crank, but never fire up...

I am a computer programmer, and work with cobol and jcl and all that mainframe fun, so I sometimes get to be very technical.. Never done any mechanical job ever before, but thought this would be a nice experience..

Got on this forum and read for 2 weeks everyday on carbs and kats not purrrrrrrrrrrrring.. And decided to finally do it myself. Found the carb 102, went though it step by step.. And the stuff that came out of the carbs made me feel a bit better..

Put the carb back on, key in, start the bike..... Doesnt start. I checked the fuel lines, tubes, all seemed well.. Took the plugs out, they were dry black.. I thought dry was fine at the time and ignored the black!! Start it, again wouldnt fire up!!

Cleaned the carbs again, this time soaked the jets and not just spray them.. Struggled to put the carb back together as I just realized that there were small springs that I left out last time.. U know the springs on the doors thingies where the throttle acts.. No reference to them anywhere online.. Figured it out myself after 2 hours of thinking that I screwed everything up.. And it was back together and clean! Went to start it... Same results..

Decided it was the battery, went out and bought a new battery.. Dint start.. Borrowed a voltmeter, with the lights on, it read 11.xx and I was like this should start.. Nadda

Got my sparks out again to check for spark on the frame, they spark, and this time they were wet with gas.. So my air flow and compression must be fine...

Okay, I decided to wipe the gas off of the plugs.. And one of the arms started shining.. I thought, were did the black go?? Got my sandpaper, and went down hard on those plugs..

Put them and and guess what.. Its been since march, am in Ontario, summer is very short, and I really wanted her to be the star of my backyard show.. It finally started today!!!! Next stop, sync, insure, register and get license, and on the road I go!!!

So thank you all for giving me every idea and solution to every problem I had with this bike.. Even tho this is my first post, without u I wouldnt have done it!!

Cheers

Congrats and welcome to the non-lurking crowd!
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

See what you can do if you actually follow directions? Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        See what you can do if you actually follow directions? Congrats.

+1

Nice work!

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys.. A week and I should have it running on the road!! What are things that I should watch out for on the road? Its very shaky now and am guessing its the carbs

Comment

What do you mean by "shaky"?
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
            X