X

HI, everybody. new kat poster here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI, everybody. new kat poster here

I've bought a 2006 katana 750 its black with chrome decals and heated grips and chrome spiked bar ends, a carbon fiber tank protector. whats the best oil to use? thank u

Motorcycle oil SM or better. Some have used diesel engine oil. Nondetergent, no low friction oil.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

well, ok, I asked because I heard I shouldn't use oils with additives in it, just trying to get as many p.o.v.'s as I can, so, whatever...

Comment

Welcome. I've been using rotella t6 the last couple changes and no issues. It's kind of a hotly debated topic on here wether that one is ok to run or not. Every conserving car oil is a huge no, it'll make your clutch slip. Other than that, you can find arguments for/against almost anything out there.
        If you're going to do a fair number of miles, I'd recommend something synthetic. It'll help with high summer temps plus it won't thin out as fast.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Use the google section under the search button at the top of the page. You will get enough fact / opinion / BS to completely confuse you. However, there are several specific oils recommended by people with experience using them in the US / Canada.

Bottom line:

Although some non-motorcycle oils (ie not specifically JASO rated) are perfectly OK, you are probably better off finding an oil that is specifically JASO M / JASO MA rated. Most of them, but not all, won't be higher than API SJ rated because SL and above usually relies on friction modifiers that are not good for wet clutches. However, some are even SN rated. Try to stick with the recommended 10/40 viscosity rating, although if you experience particularly hot conditions, a 10/50 or 15/50 is OK. Generally speaking, the more expensive the oil, the more pure / refined / true synthetic it is, and that generally means it is more resistant to shear breakdown (a factor more significant in motorcycles than cars) so you will have better protection throughout the oil change interval or even extended intervals.

Although the manual recommends changing the filter every second oil change, IMHO, it's a small cost for better protection and peace of mind to change the filter every oil change. (You can search filters too.)

Comment

Hi and welcome to the group!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome!

Be careful with pointy bar ends. You never realize how often you brush against your handlebars when doing maintenance until they start scratching you every time. My buddy has some pointy grips on his '81 cb650 and they have drawn blood on the both of us more than once. He once got it square on his forehead. That one was a bleeder! lol
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to kr and as one of my mechanic friends says to me what oil did the manufacture recommend and then shorten the length of time cause more oil changes are better no matter which bike oil you use. But what do I know

Comment

yes I haven't had them very long at all and they've got me a few times now. REAL carbon fiber ones would replace them today if I could find them for the Kat.

Comment

+1 on the pointy bar ends, I have them on my 93 600 and I've caught my jacket on them a few times nearly knocking over my bike. I to was wondering about the oil, I'll be changing mine this weekend. Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome and pics please!

Comment

thanks ur pics rule

Comment

welcome to KatRiders

Comment

Working...
                            X