X

Speedo wiring on 82 gs1000sz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo wiring on 82 gs1000sz

I got the original speedo for the bike in parts box and it was in pieces. Two pictures are attached. From the main plug I put a white wire in the socket that was broken off even with the plug, enough to identify a white wire went there.

Three gray wires (with white at bulb) connected to gray from plug. Those look to be main lighting at top and each side. I got the distance sensor wires plugged in.

Brown, white and orange from top rear of speedo. Does the orange and white tie into same circut as the orange and white coming out of plug?

I have all white wires connected to wire from plug and tied in white from top rear to those wires. Can't see where else this could go by diagram I have.

Orange, yellow,blue,black look pretty straight forward Got a few more parts on order, mounting cushions for top of bracket, a few bulbs, gasket seal kit, face plate and a trip meter knob.

Haven't put power to it yet, just wondered if anyone familiar with a rebuild on these notices any issues with the way it's wired. Can't beat experience

I can't see any pictures from my computer so I hope they show up.

Thanks
    Attached Files

I have the wiring diagram for your bike, PM me with your email and I'll send it out to you.

(your pics did not show up for me)
    Last edited by Suzuki_dog; 07-27-2014, 06:50 AM.
    GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Thanks for the diagram. It is ready to go now.
      Attached Files

Comment

How did you get the case apart on the speedo? I tried to get mine apart this weekend to replace the bezel and clean the glass. Maybe I'm too timid with trying to get the metal band off...

Comment

Here is page with link for instructions with good pictorials in PDF format http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_wiring.html
          I used a small knife to open and flat screwdriver to re crimp.

Good luck

Hardest part for me was getting needle bases off. Lot of equally distributed pressure to pop those off

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
            Here is page with link for instructions with good pictorials in PDF format http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_wiring.html
            I used a small knife to open and flat screwdriver to re crimp.

Good luck

Hardest part for me was getting needle bases off. Lot of equally distributed pressure to pop those off
            I'll give it a try, again, the needles just pop up and off, correct? Did you just use your fingers or did you have a tool?

Comment

Those were the trickiest damn things to get off. I wasn't worried about scratching the old faceplate so I used two fine point tweezers and wedged both sides of each tweezer under the needle base supporting all four quadrants of the base equally and they popped off. I tried a little scraper and a butter knife on each side first but I had a hard time keeping equal pressure and I thought for sure one side was going to snap off.

I got lucky and had tweezers that I had were skinny enough and beveled just right to wedge them off. They are the tweezers I use pick bugs out of outdoor paint jobs Didn't grab with tweezers just used them as a wedge. It wouldn't be hard to make a couple of them either
              Last edited by branumhawk; 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X