Why diss the Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why diss the Katana?

Originally posted by bobs
    I've been lurking on Northern California forums. Why do other riders diss the Katana? I see pejorative comments like "I'd rather be riding a pink Katana" or "that's one fugly bike". What's wrong with Katanas? I know it's not an awe-inspiring literbike or the sexiest Duc, but that's not what I need for my current level of skills nor for my intended uses. Is there any reason I should avoid this neighbor's bike and keep shopping?

(Other types I'm considering in my under-$4K price range are Honda 90-97 VFR750F, BMW K75C or K75S, Suzuki 99-02 SV650S.)

Thanks for any insight!

Because they are ignorant and just follow the hype. Yes, a Katana is not a good sportbike by any means, a 750 will be outperformed by any current 600SS so badly that it is not funny (my 750 can barely keep up with bikes like a CBR 600 F3, Thundercat, etc. but it is blown away by F4i, R6, etc), I know because I've been doing a lot of track riding.

However, they are extremely reliable, comfortable, cheap to mantain and built like tanks!

For example, a valve adjust requires no special tools at all, try that with a new 600cc bike, there is no coolant to worry about, there is no thermostat to tinker with, there is no aluminum frame that will be a piece of scrap metal if scratched, etc.

Commuting? I can't think of a better bike than the Katana. No other bike will offer the same comfort and peace of mind as the Katana.

Trackday? It may not be up to the same performance level as a new 600SS bike, but it will teach you A LOT, and it is way more capable than what those couch racers give it credit for.

All I want to say is that the Katana is one of the best, if not the best, all around bike. People that diss the Katana is just following the hype about the latest and greatest bikes.
    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Originally posted by Katana600Tao
      I use to have a ZX10 a couple years ago, loved the bike to be honest. I wouldn't mind getting a new ZX12R. However, I've found that my Kat is comfortable and performs good enough for what I do (i.e. joy rides, and go to work). I'm not out to win any trophies or be the baddest dude on two wheels ... just wanna have fun and the Kat's ideal for that.

I agree 100%!!!!
      Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Comment

that is a pretty good price. I just bought a 1996 kat 600 in oct. for $1995. Nothing need to be done to it such as tires and what not i think it is a pretty good deal.
        Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

Well being one the reformed Kat bashers I can say this much. Mis information is plain and simple. I rode straight gixxers from 1988 till a gunshot wound sidelined my riding. All I can say is was sorely misinformed. Most of it in the showroom, by dealers. Recently purchased a 89 750 for nothing, mainly went this route to see if I could tolerate longer ride times now. Rode sons gsxr 750 here and there, but nothing for long periods. Since purchasing the 89, I can say one of the best riding bikes I have ridden. It has some dtracting points, that I miss from a pure sportbike, but is a well rounded bike. Comfortable enough for long rides, but with minor mods can be a knee dragger again if desire suits me. Son has also reformed his view, and prefers to ride the kat over the gixxer alot. Guess fathers should dis other bikes infront of impressionable minors.
          One project done, now on to the next few!!
          Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Re: Why diss the Katana?

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
            I've been lurking on Northern California forums. Why do other riders diss the Katana? I see pejorative comments like "I'd rather be riding a pink Katana" or "that's one fugly bike". What's wrong with Katanas? I know it's not an awe-inspiring literbike or the sexiest Duc, but that's not what I need for my current level of skills nor for my intended uses. Is there any reason I should avoid this neighbor's bike and keep shopping?

(Other types I'm considering in my under-$4K price range are Honda 90-97 VFR750F, BMW K75C or K75S, Suzuki 99-02 SV650S.)

Thanks for any insight!

Because they are ignorant and just follow the hype. Yes, a Katana is not a good sportbike by any means, a 750 will be outperformed by any current 600SS so badly that it is not funny (my 750 can barely keep up with bikes like a CBR 600 F3, Thundercat, etc. but it is blown away by F4i, R6, etc), I know because I've been doing a lot of track riding.

However, they are extremely reliable, comfortable, cheap to mantain and built like tanks!

For example, a valve adjust requires no special tools at all, try that with a new 600cc bike, there is no coolant to worry about, there is no thermostat to tinker with, there is no aluminum frame that will be a piece of scrap metal if scratched, etc.

Commuting? I can't think of a better bike than the Katana. No other bike will offer the same comfort and peace of mind as the Katana.

Trackday? It may not be up to the same performance level as a new 600SS bike, but it will teach you A LOT, and it is way more capable than what those couch racers give it credit for.

All I want to say is that the Katana is one of the best, if not the best, all around bike. People that diss the Katana is just following the hype about the latest and greatest bikes.
            Very very true and well said...
            You will find that people with negative opinions of the Kat have never ridden one...it's a great all around bike.
            I just bought a 05 Kat 750 about 5 weeks ago, and I can't think of enough excuses to go ride it...
            I use it to commute from Corona to Irvine Ca every day (about 52miles round trip, probably ride 10-17 miles at lunch), and have a smile on my face the entire time.

Don't believe everything you read or hear when it comes to bad mouthing any bike...I encourage you to find a dealer or friend who will let you ride a Kat, and I think you will be smiling too my friend...and thats what its all about

No matter what you decide to get we will welcome you and all riders on KR as a friend and fellow rider...

Oh and in 5 weeks I have been hit on by about a dozen cute girls, and received I don't know how many compliments by total strangers that they think my bike looks awesome... 8)

Wishing you and all on KR the best...time to think of another excuse to go riding, I'm outta here

Comment

ah the famous why hate on kats topic.. to put it simply, those who hate on kats have either:

A: never rode one and just go by what their friends tell them
              B: have rode one but are too ashamed to admit its a nice bike cuz their friends will think they are lame
              C: They're part of the cyber stunters or some other lame azz squidly qroup that give us all a bad name
              D: Have no idea what being able to ride a bike is really all about.

As long as you like it, nobody has to ride it but you, so who cares. And you'll always be guaranteed a more comfortable ride on a Kat.

Comment

I read the threads over at BARF. There are some very misinformed and under-educated opinions over there.

What to know, based on what you asked (and their comments):
                At 6'4" and 240 with a 34 inch inseam, the Kat will be comfy, although an VStrom may be better suited to your size. An SV-650 is unlikely to fit you comfortably. At $2k, it's a great deal, and I'd say take the Kat, esp. if you know and trust the original owner.
                No, it's not air-cooled. It's oil-air cooled (this is a crucial difference). The first generation of GSXR's were the same basic oil-air cooled design. As long as you use properly rated API SF/SG oils in it (preferably also JASO-MA rated), it will easily last out to 100k with little more than scheduled maintenance. If heat is a big issue, use an oil with the above ratings that is particularly heat-tolerant (top of the heap right now is Mobil's MX4T and Mobil VTwin in terms of temp capabilities). The oil-air cooling is only an issue in exactly the same situations water-cooling gets over-heated -- long high-speed blasts followed by bumbling along for long periods of time at walking speeds (such as parades or extensive traffic jams). The people who get into problems are those who think that cheap car oils are the same as decent motorcycle oils -- modern car oils (API SJ/SL/SM) don't contain enough of the right additives (ZDDP), contain too many of the wrong additives (ones apt to make the clutch slip), and the cheaper of the car oils tend to sludge up much faster given the duty cycle of a motorcycle - high RPM's and high-temps (causing lubrication problems and related follow-on failures as a result).
                Mechanically, the Kat engines are simple and very sound designs that have seen duty globally for almost 20 years now; poorly designed engines don't stay in production for 18+ years.
                Odds are on a '96, there will be a bunch of maint that should be done to this Kat -- much of that maint will be the same on any motorcycle of that age, including replacing the brake lines & brake caliper seals, fork oil & seals, oil change, swapping out the vacuum and fuel lines. This is simply age/wear stuff that's supposed to be replaced on a schedule anyway.
                If the suspension on that Kat is still original, it may be wise to upgrade it, given your size/weight. Suspension components (shocks, fork springs) age just like anything else and weaken with repeated use; a decade of use is usually enough that they have seen better days, esp. if the previous rider was over 200lbs as well (or often rode double-up).
                The single most critical component on the Kat is the tires; good tires make the bike -- bad tires turn it to utter crud. They affect everything from how it turns to how it brakes to how it feels over rough surfaces.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why do other riders diss the Katana?
                  It is the ignorance of life my son. Those that only now a little bit about bikes don't understand what a Katana and it's history is about. I guess in short you can call it "closed minded"

I see pejorative comments like "I'd rather be riding a pink Katana" or "that's one fugly bike". What's wrong with Katanas?
                  Read answer of question one
                  The pre 98 is sexy and so is the 98+ but not as errodynamic looking as a GSXR or Busa. Some don't care for the flat nose look or the Mickey Mouse ears for mirrors. I don't like the pre mirrors either but those can be changed.

For everyones information a stock Katana is just that. If we can get those NAH SAYER'S on here they will change their minds about Katana's or atleast most will.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Who cares? Get the bike YOU want, not what THEY want. I enjoy going out and showing the weekend warriors that it is more than capable of doing whatever I want it to do............
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

The invi....I'll tell you my story... Before I decided for a Katana I went from store to store looking for a sport bike...did not know much about the katanas back then ,but when I started to copare Pricing ,style(farings,looks,color choice etc) and confortability...nothing like a katana.... I'm a told guy and I could not fit into one of those croch rockets,besides I felt like the handle bars were way too low for me to the point that I was touching my knees. Now that is no a confortable way of ridding....forget about looks or speed.Speed will get you hurt. The most I like about Katana looks are the Farings....They look like one complete piece. You can't find similar stye on tadays bike.To me the Katana is the closest look to a Hayabusa if you know how to dress it up nicely.

Comment

Most of the responses werent too bad, as the other said, but this one had me alittle..

Probably appearances - it kinda looks like a teapot...

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          At 6'4" and 240 with a 34 inch inseam, the Kat will be comfy, although an VStrom may be better suited to your size. An SV-650 is unlikely to fit you comfortably.
                          I'm only 6'2", 34" inseam, size 12 street shoes. My 15yo son is 6'5", size 18 street shoes. We'll need to rearrange the pegs and levers a bit when he starts riding.

At $2k, it's a great deal, and I'd say take the Kat, esp. if you know and trust the original owner.
                          Bill is a neighbor I don't know well. I was introduced to this Katana by Robin, an old riding buddy of Bill's, another neighbor whom I know well and who is a thoroughgoing gearhead. Robin has seven or eight bikes stored in his own and Bill's garages, all of which he maintains well himself.

No, it's not air-cooled. It's oil-air cooled (this is a crucial difference).
                          Got it, thanks for the clarification. I'll be sure to get the correct sort of oils.

Odds are on a '96, there will be a bunch of maint that should be done to this Kat -- much of that maint will be the same on any motorcycle of that age, including replacing the brake lines & brake caliper seals, fork oil & seals, oil change, swapping out the vacuum and fuel lines. This is simply age/wear stuff that's supposed to be replaced on a schedule anyway.
                          This stuff doesn't intimidate me. When I buy a car I go through a similar list. The Mrs. calls it "bonding"

If the suspension on that Kat is still original, it may be wise to upgrade it, given your size/weight. Suspension components (shocks, fork springs) age just like anything else and weaken with repeated use; a decade of use is usually enough that they have seen better days, esp. if the previous rider was over 200lbs as well (or often rode double-up).
                          Bill is of average weight. I'll see how much adjustment is left in the suspension. You might see me ordering one of your Ohlins soon... They fit a 96, right?

The single most critical component on the Kat is the tires; good tires make the bike -- bad tires turn it to utter crud. They affect everything from how it turns to how it brakes to how it feels over rough surfaces.
                          I have found Metzeler Z6s locally for $90/$116 at a shop that extends a 10% discount to MSF graduates. Should I be concerned that Z6 is available only in 110/70-17 not the stock 110/80-17? Is that enough change in aspect ratio up front to adversely affect stability?

Originally posted by meanstrk
                          Who cares? Get the bike YOU want, not what THEY want. I enjoy going out and showing the weekend warriors that it is more than capable of doing whatever I want it to do............
                          I really don't care about others' opinions of the aesthetics. I just want to avoid making a mistake over a rational objective issue like repair history or failure modes.

The Mrs. and I are both instructors at track days (we call them "performance driving schools") with our car club. We drive her silver 1988 BMW 535iS, a sleeper middle-aged sedan. In a heavy underpowered car that's not supposed to be fast, we two forty-somethings enjoy embarassing younger guys in their ///M3 racecars. And then we have a comfortable drive home from the track.

So yes, I completely understand there's more honor in going fast on a slow bike 8)

Originally posted by JoeCool
                          Oh and in 5 weeks I have been hit on by about a dozen cute girls, and received I don't know how many compliments by total strangers that they think my bike looks awesome... 8)
                          Not an issue. I've been married 20.5 years to the cutest girl I've ever met

Comment

we two forty-somethings enjoy embarassing younger guys in their ///M3 racecars.
                            Cool another old guy!!

Comment

I love riding my Kat. There are times I wish for more but then again that seems to be human nature. I thought about getting a new bike but the machine does everything I need a motorcycle to do and then some. Those the disrespect the Kat generally don't know what they are disrepecting.
                              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

yes its not a total crotch rocket, but hey its comfy on the way to work, its relatively cheap, maintenance is inexpensive, and i have no problem scraping my pegs or hammering it @ 130... not bad for buying a tank for $2500... i don't know of any other bike you could do that on for the price...

Comment

Working...
                                X