front brake lever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brake lever

Hello,

I was wondering whether it was possible to adjust the front brake lever. Spefically, looking to bring it "closer" in as compared to it's current position.

My 98 Bandit 1200 has an adjustable brake lever.

If your Kat has a chrome knob with the numbers 1,2,3 and 4 on it, each 90 degrees around the outer circumsance of the knob, you have an adjustable brake lever, just like you want. Differences are small, but it works. If you don't have that feature, I don't see why you could not replace your master cylinder assembly (which includes the lever) with one from a Bandit.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I think you can put the adjustable one on without changing a thing.. In fact if I'm not mistaken I gave/sold a lever to someone here who put it on their early Kat..
      I'm also 99.9% sure a 2001 has the adjustable lever..

You have to PUSH the lever away from the grip and turn the knob by the way..

Comment

i have a '01 kat, so i saw the dial on it. so by turning that dial every 90 degrees and either brings the lever closer in or out?

Comment

Right, I forget what number is what...

Comment

IIRC, 1 keeps the lever farthest from the grip, 4 keeps it closest to the grip.
            Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Just push the lever forward and adjust the knob.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                IIRC, 1 keeps the lever farthest from the grip, 4 keeps it closest to the grip.

correct!!

Comment

Fantastic, now where is the throttle situated?

Tok

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input, but I have to say that i have pushed the brake lever forward and turned the dial. I really hasn't made much of a difference. I almost feel like the dam thing hasn't moved at all. Am i doing something wrong?

Comment

Donno..

It should feel like its closer. Is there no change from 1 straight to 4 (or 5)??

Comment

honestly, it doesn't feel like it. If anything, I feel like there is more play than anything else.

Comment

Oh, maybe your lever is busted.. You should defiantly feel a difference.

Comment

Really! How would i really now for sure? would it be a matter of just changing the lever? Is it as easy as changing the clutch lever?

Comment

It's simple look at the pic below (ignore the arrows I grabbed it from some Japanese site )

You can see three round parts here;
                              The larger silver one is the adjuster
                              The upper darker one is the lever adjust hinge
                              The dark on on the far left the actual pivot.

The lever is in two sections the pivot block and the lever. The wheel is a cam with indents. The cam presses against the pivot block and is kept in place with a spring. So the spring tries to get the lever to "swing" as close to the bar as possible with the cam holding it back.. Clear as mud??

Changing the lever with a new one, GSX-R (up to 2003 I think) is the best choice IMO.. is easier than changing the clutch lever..

Comment

Working...
                              X