X

How can bleeding brakes be fun?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can bleeding brakes be fun?

This is not a solicitation of business, but after CP and I installed the SpeedBleeders on my bike, I just couldn't understand why these aren't OEM on all vehicles.

30 seconds to install and about 3 minutes to bleed the brakes. I'm convinced and noticed an immediate difference in stopping power (and my original brake fluid was only 7 months old!). Great product.

In all honesty it's probably because some bean counter found that these cost more and would decrease profits.

And if you think about it, they want you to get this done at the dealer $$$$, why make it easier to do yourself?
    Kyle

Comment

glad you had fun but i'll say it again. a $20 vacuum pump is much better.

BUT....
      if you rebuild the calipers or master cylinder ( basically have an empty system ) you can't build up enough pressure to open the speed bleeder.
      yes you can fill the master cylinder and let the fluid drain into the lines then install the speed bleeders but for $20 i'll take the pump and be off bedding in the pads while your still trying to get fluid through the bleeder.

tim

Comment

Vacuum pump 100%
        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

ok ok i dont know how to use a vacuum pump is it hard to install how does it work does it work like a penis pump lol if that answer is yes then ok i know how to use it.
          a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
          so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

Too bad my pressure bleeder doesn't fit the Kat's master cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by crypt dog
              ok ok i dont know how to use a vacuum pump is it hard to install how does it work does it work like a penis pump lol if that answer is yes then ok i know how to use it.
              you have a pump & a bottle ( to create the vacuum in ) put the rubber hose on the bleeder screw - pump the handle & crack open the bleeder screw and it pulls the air/fluid into the bottle- close valve before it runs out of vacuum ( it comes with a handy little guage )

ultra easy !

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                Originally posted by crypt dog
                you have a pump & a bottle ( to create the vacuum in ) put the rubber hose on the bleeder screw - pump the handle & crack open the bleeder screw and it pulls the air/fluid into the bottle- close valve before it runs out of vacuum ( it comes with a handy little guage )

ultra easy !

tim
                Maybe an advantage of the SpeedBleeders is if I get contamination in my brake fluid while on the road. I could pull into any WalMart or autostore and get some DOT4 brake fluid and bleed right away. No need for carry a pump. Only a small hose and an open end wrench (I know..I'm supposed to recycle, but this is an emergency fix).

Comment

How is your brake fluid going to get contaminated on the street all of a sudden?? Accidently open your reservoir and spit in it?
                  -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                    glad you had fun but i'll say it again. a $20 vacuum pump is much better.

BUT....
                    if you rebuild the calipers or master cylinder ( basically have an empty system ) you can't build up enough pressure to open the speed bleeder.
                    yes you can fill the master cylinder and let the fluid drain into the lines then install the speed bleeders but for $20 i'll take the pump and be off bedding in the pads while your still trying to get fluid through the bleeder.

tim
                    Yup!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                      How is your brake fluid going to get contaminated on the street all of a sudden?? Accidently open your reservoir and spit in it?
                      Wouldn't it be possible for the screws on the front brake fluid cap to come loose, over time, and thereby causing the seal(s) to be compromised?

Comment

I use both the vacuum pump (harbor freight for the win) and speed bleeders.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                          Wouldn't it be possible for the screws on the front brake fluid cap to come loose, over time, and thereby causing the seal(s) to be compromised?
                          No.
                          -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd

Quote of the week right there. I just almost fell out of my chair at work.

Hmmmm, now I don't know what to get for my up coming fluid change. Speed bleeders or a pump? I guess I'll go with the pump since my buddy already has one and he wants to do his SV650 when I do the Kat.

FloridaKat, did you install new pads as well?

What pads does everyone recommend? And where to buy?
                            -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

I tried speedbleeders on my race car. Got rid of them. The trick is the valve opens with brake pressure and lets out fluid, and closes with vac to not let any air in. The problem is you have to partially unscrew the bleeder to get it working, and under vac you get air sucked in from the screw threads. Speedbleeders come with sticky gunk on their threads when you buy them so it wont happen right away but after some miles the gunk dries up (especially on a car that gets hot hot brakes on the track) and now the bleeder will suck in air. Their solution is to sell little bottles of junk and every so often remove the speedbleeders and apply new gunk. Of course the second you remove the bleeder your caliper gets tons of air in it which needs to be bled out. I got a pressure system that pressurizes my master and lets me bleed each tire at a time without using the brake pedal. Much tighter brakes on the race car, all air gets out quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X