Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

big hopes for tomorrow - rebuild on the front forks..done !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big hopes for tomorrow - rebuild on the front forks..done !

i really feel like i ride my bike at it's limit - the new ohlins rear shock is a big help in keeping the rear planted but now the front end is really showing it's limitation ( it has for a long time ). i was planning on pulling the forks apart this winter and installing a set of race tech gold emulators & new set of springs - but after some good chats with some local racer types i decided ( not a hard decision ) to take it to the shop.

there seems to be only one shop in the northwest to go to & i just confirmed my appointment for tomorrow. i have lofty goals - but everyone who has their suspension done has rav'd about them.
    they are going to completely rebuild the front forks & set-up the rear shock.

i can't wait.

the shop:
    Motorcycle Suspension Products & Motorcycle Suspension Tuning Services. We make custom motorcycle suspension products for your favorite brands.

tim

[EDIT]

well i picked up my bike today after the fronk forks were gone through ! on a bad note: it will rain all weekend.

first off i should say that i wanted them to rebuild the front forks and adjust the new rear ohlins shock. well it was quickly pointed out that the new ohlins shock spring is a bit too soft ( it will need to be replaced some day - probably at the scheduled rebuild time ) it was also pointed out that the rear shock could be upgraded to add a reservour - he'd have to look into the cost of the kit. Any of you thinking about a shock that cyber has.... here is a way to get into a good rebuildable - upgradeable shock.

ok, the forks. the OEM springs that were removed measured at .74kg !
    ( race techs online chart has .74 kg rate for an 80 lb rider ! )
    soft - soft & more soft. those were ditched for a set of .925kg springs, polished the tubes - and the rebound adjustments were gone through so they actually work well ! some new fluid & seals and final adjustments
    and $356 dollars later ( i took in the bike - they pulled the tubes & installed them ) i have a new front end & a better set-up rear shock.

the ride home ( the long way ):

i can't say how great it is because i have nothing to compare it to & didn't get to really push the bike hard but i could tell the front end was planted. before i was having to pick the bike up - adjust my line 'cause i was feeling the front tire start to wash out at steep lean angles. i won't say it's on rails - but it held the line better than ever before. i'm really happy with how it feels and money well spent ( and LONG overdue ).

many people state you should ( on a budget bike ) upgrade the suspension before anything else & i agree - but i too installed a pipe & jet kit - etc. etc before buying a rear shock & rebuilding the front end but ...when you come to the point where you feel your skills are beyond the bike it's time to get it set-up by a pro.

GP was great - got to BS with them about their work & machines ( and they politely mentioned i should stop over torqueing my axle bolts ). as ferris stated: things move pretty fast... it's cool when people take the time to talk. It was also nice to hear the owner call my bike ' my hot -rod ". he builds suspensions for all the top local race bikes & yet he understood the goal - make what i have better.

to bad you all don't live here in portland. we have great local talent.

tim

Not EDR?

I'm also doing my forks soon (only springs though) and something about the rear shock...

what are they exactly doing Tim?

Comment

GP does incredible work, per everyone I have ever spoken with who's gotten suspenders upgraded by them. I'm sure you will be thrilled...
      -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
        Not EDR?

I'm also doing my forks soon (only springs though) and something about the rear shock...

what are they exactly doing Tim?
        eric (owner of EDR) sends his bike to GP !

what are they doing - good question. springs and oil and oil flow correction. forks work by sending oil through holes the size & the amount of holes determine how much oil can pass. GP has a cool machine ( like a dyno ) that they mount the forks to to measure compression & rebound rates - he can adjust the holes to get the rate that he feels is correct.

i'm not sure what he's going to do about the adjusters - he stated they have them on another bike but don't work well so we'll have to wait & see what he does there.

tim

Comment

Cool beans. Keep us posted

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
            GP has a cool machine ( like a dyno ) that they mount the forks to to measure compression & rebound rates - he can adjust the holes to get the rate that he feels is correct.
            tim
            I thought that was exactly what they called that.. a shock dyno..
            at least that is what an old co-worker called it.. and he designed a susp. system for GM at home..
            man I wish I still worked in Phoenix.. So much talent and resources were available to me there...

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Cool beans. Keep us posted

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              done. re-read the first post.

tim

Comment

Great update Tim...

What torque spec were you using???

Comment

Re: big hopes for tomorrow - rebuild on the front forks..don

Comon Tim, we're tryin to keep em out right?

Great update, was it expensive? Yeah, it sucks it gonna rain this weekend, I have a regatta

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Great update Tim...

What torque spec were you using???
                    i usually torque axle bolts a little over spec - guess i was a little over
                    my usual. ( i think i was about 10ft lbs over )

oops.

tim

Comment

Re: big hopes for tomorrow - rebuild on the front forks..don

Originally posted by kickitjp
                      Comon Tim, we're tryin to keep em out right?

Great update, was it expensive? Yeah, it sucks it gonna rain this weekend, I have a regatta
                      speed reading ? i posted the cost in the edit ( $356 )

tim

Comment

Can you send your front forks to them to have them rebuilt? Say, like, if you live in Alabama???
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                        X