X

Fuel tank fuel line connections

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank fuel line connections

I just barely got my new bike home, lifted off the tank and noticed there are hose connections with nothing connected. Original owner apparently had issues with the fuel shutoff/selector knob and bypassed it using a different shutoff valve. I'm confused, can anyone post diagrams and pictures showing which things should be connected? Also bike cranks and acts like it wants to fire but doesn't then randomly backfires upon turning the key. Sorry, I'm a noon and could use help. Oops forgot to mention it's an 89 Katana 750
    Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-03-2015, 10:11 PM.

Welcome to katriders

First we need to know what bike you have yr/model/ 600/750/1100
    Can you post pics using photo bucket or something just like it.

Comment

It's an 89 Katana 750

Comment

Those are all drains. Run them the the bottom of the bike. Unless you have the Cali smog shit, then remove the smog shit and run them to the bottom of the bike.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Also on the carb to the far right there is a line that comes off the top, it goes nowhere but it is capped by a bolt, is that unnecessary or does it need to be connected somewhere? Or is that part of the cali smog shit?

Comment

Top of the black cap? Should have a rubber cap on the nipple, those are your sync ports. The port on the right side-carb 4- is the vac port for the petcock. (Looking at the carbs) the two ports between carb 1&2-3&4 toward the engine are vent ports, they drape over the air box, threw the holders in the air filter and run to the bottom of the bike.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

It's the black one next to the metal line. Not the long one but the other one

Comment

That is your sync port, all carbs should have that cap in place.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

no it's not, the hose he's talking about is the vacuum hose. It should connect to the port on the back of the petcock. That would cause all the problems the guy you bought it from had with the petcock (fuel shut off valve)

Comment

Ok, missed that...can't read either.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Sorry, I'm really a noob at the terminology. So the peacock shutoff valve was bypassed for other reasons, I believe, just by looking at it

I'm pretty sure that the original shutoff valve was bypassed for another reason. It looks pretty bad

Oops, apparently I'm mentally challenged this evening. The petcock not peacock.

Ok, going to bed. I'll work on it tomorrow. Thanks guys
                      Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-03-2015, 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah.....you need a petcock....badly....
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah, that makeshift fix leaks, that's first on my list. The guy I got it from(not the same owner that messed up the fuel situation) said he thinks it has a bad coil, he said it got really wet on a ride one day and now it won't fire. It sounds like it wants to but It doesn't, sounds like it half fires. Coil issue? Or could it be because of the lack of proper petcock and fuel line issues? It also backfires after cranking it. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'll check back tomorrow.

Comment

in the picture it appears there is an inline fuel filter connected, you will need to remove that as well, that has been known to cause problems in the pre 98 Kats.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Dirty carbs will also cause an almost fire.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X