X

Blowing signal fuse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing signal fuse

My bike keeps blowing my 10 A fuse that the rear light, signals, gauges, and idiot lights are on and a couple of other things. I have unplug everything that I think might be on that fuse, but no matter what as soon as I turn on the bike the fuse will blow. Where do I start?

-Thanks in advance
    Tony 94 600
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

What are idiot lights ?
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

lol my girlfriend asked the same thing!.... tell -tale lights... (first time i have ever heard them called anything else was today writing this post.)

A tell-tale or telltale' (colloquially Idiot light, especially in North America[1]) is an indicator, usually on or near the dashboard, to inform the driver that a system or device is operating, switched on, switched off, or that a problem has occurred with the vehicle. Most tell-tales consist of a light source such as a light bulb or an LED which, when powered, lights up a symbol and/or a text legend. The "idiot light" terminology arises from popular frustration with automakers' use of tell-tales for crucial functions which could previously be monitored by gauges so a troublesome condition could be detected and corrected early. Such early detection of problems with, for example, engine temperature or oil pressure or charging system operation is not possible via a tell-tale, which usually illuminates only once a fault has already occurred—thus providing no advance warning or details of the malfunction's extent.

I didn't know what other name to call the neutral light, high beam light indicator, oil light indicator, and turn signal indicators lights

sauce:
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

You have a hot wire grounding out on that circuit. Either there is a wire that is exposed touching the frame, or something isn't connected where it should be and is touching something it shouldn't be...

Make sure all your connectors are insulated...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You have to start from every signal on back to the fuse. If everything checks out and no exposed wires then the problem would be inside the signal itself but its more likely a wire got stripped and is now grounding.

Comment

is there an easy way to check for a broken wire through out a wiring harness?

or must i disassemble the bike?
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

first I would remove ,disconect all bulbs
              then check to see if it still blows the fuse

If the fuse doesnt blow, reconnect each light one by one
              the signals etc all should unplug from the main harness
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i have already done that. i think.... may have missed one.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

Unfortunately you'll probably have to take the fairings and tank off. My guess where the wire would be would be under the tank where it could pinch or by the fuse itself, but it could be anywhere.

Comment

there went my spring break... uhg...
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                      i have already done that. i think.... may have missed one.
                      should be 3 or 4 plugs at the rear under the tail at the tool pack - L&R signals plug 1 each ,Brake and tail for 1 and cant remember if the original tag light is seperate for 4th

upfront each headlight bulb and each signal and third eye on a post and gauge lights

after that I would follow the signal/headlight switches back from the harness and unplug them as well as front and rear brake switches

BTW if the bike has ever been down look in that area
                      Last edited by rexazz2; 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

thanks guys.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

chased it down to the switch gear on the the throttle side. idk if its the starter button or kill switch, front brake switch, or something else.

is post switch gear compatible with the pre harness?
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

have you taken the switch assembly off the handle bar ?

Take a look and see at the underside of the switches

Comment

yep looks like the inside of some switches and stuff. nothing melted burned stripped or out of place.
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X