X

"Custom" Fender Eliminator - $6.50

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Custom" Fender Eliminator - $6.50

So...yesterday I decided to learn how to take off all my fairings and learn a little about the bike. Plan was to install frame sliders, remove all decals and eliminate that fender! Well I got 2/3 of the way done, and that was good enough for me. I started with Rob's write up on a cheap fender eliminator and only had to make a few changes due to a slightly different rear end.

So without any real idea of what I was doing I just started cutting (the best way right...). I cut the fender along the line that sits where the bottom of the rear fairing stops (it's somewhat obvious when looking at it). I made sure to leave the the tabs intact for the push-screws.

(the red line represents what was cut off after the picture)

I learned in this process that a dremel wasn't necessary, but it was fun. The dremel definitely came in handy after the cutting because I used the sanding end to really smooth out all the cut areas.

(obviously this is before the sanding)

Bye bye fender...

Ok so once I got to this point I took the license plate bracket off the "old fender". I then screwed the bracket it the rear fender (where there was a couple push-screws, pictures can be provided).

This is where I had to get a tad creative. I went to Home Depot and after a lot of looking around and came home with a couple of corner brackets. I don't even remember now what they are supposed to be for, but I got them from the hardware section. I took those two brackets and fastened them with locking nuts to the plate bracket. Now that there was a 90-degree angle I could put the plate on.

I wasn't really keen on drilling holes in the license plate...but it doesn't look terrible.

here's the final product:

To me it looks a lot different, and I'm happy with the end result. Your questions might include..."What about turn signals"? Well, I'm going to figure that out tomorrow...I'm either going to go down to the bike shop and buy some LED signals and mount them...or I may buy an integrated tail-light. I'm not sure I want to shell out the money for that yet...but I'll look around.
    Last edited by ajsnow6234; 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM.

Looks great without the big plastic shovel. Well done.

Comment

Nice... I just did this for my pre. I still need to put the fairings back on too. What are you going to do for the license plate light? I decided to light mine with a collection of 10mm LEDs mounted in a plastic box case.
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by jtdybr View Post
        Nice... I just did this for my pre. I still need to put the fairings back on too. What are you going to do for the license plate light? I decided to light mine with a collection of 10mm LEDs mounted in a plastic box case.

Actually, the way I mounted this, the stock license plate light works quite well. I still need to paint the bracket black and I think I am going to buy some turn signals to mount, but then at some point still get the integrated light from Clear Alternatives.

Rob, thanks a lot...I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. If it wasn't for the Home Depot trip, and a couple breaks, it really would have taken about 20 minutes.

Comment

nice job on the feder elim. my $.02 on the turn signals/integrated is the integrated looks very nice but it makes you less visible to the cagers and to me being visible is a lot more important than looking super cool! i know there have been many times that my wife and i will be driving and will be behind a guy with an integrated and i will see his blinker but it takes my wife longer to see it and she is around motorcycles a lot. but that is just my opinion. keep up the good work!
          R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

if you paint it black with rattle can paint go to lowes and buy the rustoleum appliance epoxy. you can get it black or white and the stuff is way tougher then any other rattle can and is about $7.50/can. i plan on doing my wheels with them. they stuff does not chip. ive even painted axle housings with it under my 4x4's

Originally posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
            Actually, the way I mounted this, the stock license plate light works quite well. I still need to paint the bracket black and I think I am going to buy some turn signals to mount, but then at some point still get the integrated light from Clear Alternatives.

Rob, thanks a lot...I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. If it wasn't for the Home Depot trip, and a couple breaks, it really would have taken about 20 minutes.
            bippity-boppity- BACON

"Chatbox slayer..."

Comment

Thanks for your input mitchell and freebird.

I have decided to put some signals to the sides of the license plate and eventually get the integrated light as well, no worries there...I want to be seen too!

I appreciate the tip on the paint, I will probably do that as I don't want to have to deal with the paint chipping off or looking dull after a while.

Comment

So...I decided I really hated the way the "fender eliminator" I did last summer was kind of ridiculous looking with that corner bracket.

Finally spotted decent brackets at home depot, drilled them out in about 3 minutes, painted them black and put them all back together. Not a big change but it definitely looks better to me.

Planning to next take off all the sticker/decals and hopefully paint everything black. I'm just a big fan of the Black bikes.

Comment

looks great and i like the turn signals great job man
                  I Make it happen

Comment

Working...
                  X