X

Carbon Fiber Skin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
    i wonder if you can use this stuff on a windscreen if you could get it to curve and flatten around the edges (on a pre)
    If I have any left over I was going to try a couple parts...windscreen was one of them, so I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Ok, project has started...

I ripped everything apart yesterday. The tail end was a little difficult but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I took tomorrow off of work and have Fri off due to easter, so hopefully by the weekend I will have some nice pics to post. I don't think I'll have enough cure time to work on sanding/buffing until prob wed of next week.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by johna600 View Post
          sigpic
          2006 Suzuki GSX750F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by johna600 View Post
            Former Marine 3/97-3/01
            MOS 0161 Semper FI!
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, took about an hour to strip off the decals and remove the left over glue. The heat gun worked great!!! best $10 spent in a long time.

Here are the pics of some parts with carbon on them:

Bike before I Started:

I did this side first:

I didn't leave enough material for the holes so near the ends there is some missing, I'll have to find somehting to put there, prob some chrome green pinstripe...hmmm
              In this pic it has 2 coats of resin

Center was easy..no detail and the hole doesn't really matter b/c the light goes there:

Also has 2 coats of resin.

I did those thursday and then the following today.

Right side fairing:

Much better job this time, made sure I left enough for the holes. I really like the way it came out. Only one coat of resin so far.

Closer shot of right side where your leg would be:

This shows some nice detail w/ the light...

Bottom left:

Bottom right:

This was more difficult than I thought it would be, but so far I am happy with the results.

I went through 4 yards of fabric and am ordering another 3 tonight for the tank, tail, front fender, and solo cowl.

Let me know what you think....

Comment

Nice job! Can't wait to see it all together.

Comment

that looks good

Comment

wow, that looks great!

Comment

looks great when its done let me know where u got ur material from i wanna do a couple spots (add ons ) with it

Comment

It looks good! I think I'm hooked..those pics got me really considering wraps. Can't wait to see the finished product.
                        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robleen69 View Post
                          looks great when its done let me know where u got ur material from i wanna do a couple spots (add ons ) with it
                          Where did you end up getting your wraps from? Those look GREAT!
                          Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! It's nice to get a little encouragement. It is a pretty slow and tedious process, especially by myself.

I went to the garage today and checked on the parts, the first one just needs some resin added to some low spots and that part will be ready for sanding.

I got all of my material online, from ebay actually...
                            Specialty Carbon Fiber and anything related. Fabric, Panels, Dash Kits, Epoxy, Resin, Gelcoat, Vacuum Infusion Equipment...the list goes on. Interested? Browse our store and view a selection unlike anywhere else. All of our materials are produced by industry leaders to ensure we sell quality items.

Everything shipped quick and it's the cheapest price I've found. You also get a gallon of resin for what others charge for a 1/2 gallon or quart.

Comment

Too bad I'm poor. I'll probably end up getting the vinyl crap if I go the wrapping method.
                              Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Not much of an update... adding more layers of resin, slow process. And waiting for more fiber to come in the mail.

The parts are looking better with 3 coats on them, I think I'll let it cure until tomorrow and then start sanding them down.

I'm not going to clear coat over the parts as the gas won't be a problem with the resin, so I will just buff/polish it to a shine. Any suggestions on which compound to use?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X