No announcement yet.
X

My Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally got the flames sprayed. Still not all unmasked so this is all i can show for now. Still have to pinstripe flames and clear before back together completely.

Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Nice work man.

Comment

Don't you have have to peel the tape off while the paint is till wet/damp?

I know when I use masking tape for decorating if i let the paint dry it can peel off sometimes when you try to take the masking off?

Also , I have allways wondered when seeing multi-layered paint designs how do you feather the new paint into the old by wet sanding? Or do you just build up the clear laquer to fill the various different paint depths?

Hope you understand what I mean, I just re-read that and can't think of a better way of describing what I meant.
        Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Good questions grump!!

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
            Don't you have have to peel the tape off while the paint is till wet/damp?

I know when I use masking tape for decorating if i let the paint dry it can peel off sometimes when you try to take the masking off?

Also , I have allways wondered when seeing multi-layered paint designs how do you feather the new paint into the old by wet sanding? Or do you just build up the clear laquer to fill the various different paint depths?

Hope you understand what I mean, I just re-read that and can't think of a better way of describing what I meant.
            I'm no expert, but in my limited experience I will try to answer your Q's

You should peel the tape while the paint is still wet. It will allow the edge of the paint to "settle" and lay flat. Any time that 2 colours meet, I always use "fine line tape"

As for multi layer paint jobs...when you lay the clear down you need to be cautious of how much you are putting on. I usually lay on the first coat fairly lightly (and with the gun a bit further back than normal), and don't come all the way to the edge of where the 2 colours meet. Let it flash for about 10 mins and hit it with a good (full coverage) second coat. I always cut and polish my paintwork, which will smooth out any raised edges caused by the different paint layers.

Again, I am no expert, but these techniques have worked for me in the past. Perhaps Mojoe can chime in and offer his expertise.
            Last edited by chinto; 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Had to mock up oneside with the side i got unmasked. no we never take the masking off while its still wet. too much chance for the tape to hit the paint and screw it up. then its way harder to fix. Yes it will leave a hard edge but thats what the freehand pinstripe is for. put a stripe over the edge half on the graphic and half on the base color. Then usually just clear normally. Yes you will get some raises with the clear but if you put enough on you can usually wetsand it smooth and then polish. or else you can wetsand and reclear to make sure there are no raised spots where the graphics are. hope i answered all the questions but may have forgot some. Anyway every painter is different so thats just how we do things with graphics.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Damn that's going to look great when it's done, good work!

2002 Katana 600
                1999 Ford F150

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_M View Post
                  Damn that's going to look great when it's done, good work!
                  + 1 thats looking sharp!

Do you let the paint completely dry before pulling the tape? Is that because of the intricacy of the graphic? In other words, would you treat it the same if you were simply doing a job that had only 1 line that separated the 2 colours?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

If its only a simple line you may get away with it but i think you also may take a chance of the paint lifting with the tape if its still wet. It may be fine though. That is if your spraying it. If you are going to mask a pinstripe and brush it on then yeah i would suggest removing the tape asap to get rid of the hard edge. Spraying base coats dry rather quickly though so there shouldnt be any problems with waiting.
                    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Hmm, I may have to retract my previous comment about it looking too busy. That's looking really cool, excellent job.
                      Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Well here she is all pinstriped and put back together. Not cleared yet cuz still waiting on a couple more parts to get here so i can paint them to match. Then i'll clear it all together. Just thought i would post a couple pics of how its gonna sit for another week or so now.

www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

nice work , jelousy green incoming!!!
                          also if your at risk still of loosing your job , im sure some of us could send you some fairings to paint
                          sigpic

Comment

no not at risk...wasnt actually gonna fire me for not custom painting it, just givin me a bad time.
                            www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

That bike gonna look soooooooooo sweet when it's finished.
                              Now go get it finished quickly so I can nominate you for KOTM
                              Too old to dream, too young to reason...
                              I am fond of my rough edges.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                                no not at risk...wasnt actually gonna fire me for not custom painting it, just givin me a bad time.
                                well if he keeps giving yuou a bad time ill send you my fairings to customize
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X