X

fork question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork question?

I took my forks off to rebuild them. I reinstalled them but now one sticks up farther through the top clamp than the other. The right side sticks up bout 1/4 or a little less higher than the left side. This is throught the top clamp not with the handle bar clamps on. This is without an engine in the bike. Should I wait till I get the engine? Even then Im not sure why the are uneven. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Forks

8) Sounds like the oil lock piece didn't seat in the bottom of the slider. It might not leak oil if it's not lined up because of the sealing washer on the locking bolt. It's got a slot in the bottom of the slider it sets in which is about a 1/4 inch. I'm just guessing but that's what it sounds like. I had to wrestle with mine to get it to seat properly when I did my bushings and seals. I used a little dabble of grease on the bottom of the oil lock piece to keep it in place when I reassembled.

Comment

Yeah , if on'es DEFINATELY longer than the other , you didn't put it back together right . I had a HELL of a time getting it all back together right the first time , too .Did you already fill them with oil ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Damn that really sucks, I was hoping for something more simple. I tried to check and double check to make sure the notch was lined up with the drain screw on that bottom piece. As for your question md yeah they are filled with oil. I filled them before I put them on the bike. The front tire was shot so I was waiting to buy a new tire before I put the front end all together. I didnt notice the problem until i put the top clamp back on and noticed the difference in how far they were up through the clamp.

Comment

Ok.. either measure them or take them back out and stand them next to each other. If you don't have the whole front end together yet, they MIGHT just not be installed to the same level. If they measure out the same or you stand them next to each other and they are the same, it is a simple fix.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Well I will have to check it out. I already have the wheel on, the brake calipers back on, the forks go through the top and bottom clamps. I havent put the fender mount bracket back on nor have I put the handle bat clamps on. Ill have to wait till friday to give it a good lookin over.

Comment

You shouldn't need to disassemble everything to measure. Just get any weight off the front end, loosen up all the clamps so the fork tubes can slide any, and then measure them.

Don't know for sure if I am right, but sure seems the easiest to check first before tearing them apart again.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Hmmm yeah you just got me to thinkin now. I might have tightened the lower clamp with that one side of the fork compressed. That can be a quick check this afternoon. Ill get back with ya tonight and let ya know if I should feel stupid or not lol.

Comment

No need to feel stupid. Sometimes it's the easy stuff that slips right past us.

I'm hoping for ya that is all it is. Much easier fix than tearing into them again.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat
                    Ok.. either measure them or take them back out and stand them next to each other. If you don't have the whole front end together yet, they MIGHT just not be installed to the same level. If they measure out the same or you stand them next to each other and they are the same, it is a simple fix.
                    Good job Court93Kat!!
                    Simple is best

Comment

Well I am happy to report that I took the top clamp back off and loosened the bottom clamp on the side that was shorter, kind of wiggled it and up it came to the exact same height as the other one. I guess I tightened one side slighty compressed. Anyway they are all level now. Thanks for all the advice. That's why I love this place.

Comment

Figured I would share a pic of the front end all pretty and put together. Its all painted not Powder Coated couldnt afford the PC. I can always respray them. Anyways I like the way it looks so far. Im gettin the motor back from the machine shop on monday from getting broken exhaust studs drilled out. Now I have to start tearing the rear apart. I already have the rear rim painted just like the front one. The wheel that is on there has a few bends in the lips. Got a pretty much mint swingarm the one on the bike now looks like hell. All the fairings are just black primer right now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dude, that is great news you don't have to tear into the forks again!!

Looking good. Be sure to post up pics when it's all back together. And pics along the way too.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

I like that shade of blue .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Good deal,all sounds well now! I'll be rebuilding my forks soon and love the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X