X

painting problem...sanding scratches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting problem...sanding scratches

Hey guys, I'm painting my kat and I've got 2 coats on so far, I can still see some fairly heavy sanding scratches...should I run some fine sandpaper over what I already have painted to try and even it out or just keep applying more paint? Any ideas?
    [email protected]
    2002 Suzuki Katana 600
    2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    2003 Dadge Stratus R/T
    1998 Jeep Cherokee

you should of smoothed it first or used a high fill primer.......i dunno if you can get them out now that you have already painted....good luck.
    Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

What was the grit that you used for your prep sand? I used a 400 wet sand and filler primer. That took care of all the sanding lines. Some folks go higher, but I had a lot of time to patiently work at it.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Sorry buddy, but you didn't prep enough..and painting is ALL prep work. You now can try to wet sand the paint, but I'm not sure how much good it'll do.

Comment

you may have to strip it and start over or you could put decals over the scratches

Comment

wet sand real good w/ 400grit. What you end up with will basically be a primed bike, so you will have to shoot the paint like it was your first coat again and go from there. That should work.
            As precautionary though, you may even want to put down a couple coats of filler primer again (after the wet-sand but before you shoot paint).

Comment

what kinda of paint are you using??? if its a candy color or something like that it doesnt matter what you sand with you will need a nice base coat

Comment

Wet sanding out the scratches in your new paint layers could work. Just try it and then paint just over that area. Wait for it to dry a bit and you will see if it worked or not. Scratches will not come out by themselves without sanding. They will look worse and worse the more layers of paint you put on.

I used 320 wet sanding with acceptable results but I was painting with low gloss. I would think high gloss you would want 400 to 600 grit.

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                  you may have to strip it and start over or you could put decals over the scratches
                  +1 but somtimes you can still see the scratches though the stickers.

Comment

Working...
                  X