X

Gear vs. No Gear Perceptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear vs. No Gear Perceptions

So today I took a nice ride and on my way home I stopped at the Post Office. The lot was almost empty since it was closed - I was just checking my PO Box. Anyway, when I was walking out in full gear - Jacket, Helmet, Boots and gloves in hand there was a guy just getting off his HD. All he was wearing was a pair of shorts, T-Shirt, work boots and skull cap, which is at least a slight step up from nothing

Looking at him I was thinking damn, I can't believe he rides around like that. Do you think guys who wear no gear think the same thing about guys who wear all their gear? Just wondering because everyone I ride with wears gear (at least helmet and a jacket). Whudda you guys think?

Saw more than one rider out with shorts on today - it was almost 90 degrees here without a cloud in the sky and no wind - almost everyone with a bike was out or so it seemed...
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

when i see someone with gear or no gear i dont really think about it. its their choice, same when i see someone without a seatbelt... if someone wants to risk themself its not my bussiness to set a standard as to whats 'enough protection'.

at what point do you start to criticize the type of gear even? sure someone may very well have full helmet and leathers, But what if they dont fit properly. a helemt to big can do alot of damage in a crash same with being leathers to big.

i know im ranting but im sick of hearing about people moaning they saw someone with no gear(not this post really). but alot of times when someone sees a rider with no gear they instantly assume the person is a 'squid'.

all that being said, i saw some guy on a cruiser making Every attempt to be safe/seen. full leathers, headlight flasher, turn signals flashing, reflective tape all over, super cautious riding etc. all that with his full face helmet strapped to the sissy bar not on his head... made me wonder on that one actually.
    03 katanika

Comment

I don't have any gear except for a ff helmet. mostly because it's so danged expensive. you could spend $800 on a riding suit and still be on the low end. I do plan on getting some as finances allow. but I always wear at least jeans and denim jacket (better than nothing) and gloves. I would never ride in shorts, but won't look down on others for it.

Comment

I work in an Emergency room and I have seen alot of road rash, thats why i wear my gear. I saw a guy on an HD today not even wearing a shirt. His perogative, but its gonna hurt when he hits the pavement. Im sure the HD crowd laugh at us all the time. Im not losing any sleep over it.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
          I don't have any gear except for a ff helmet. mostly because it's so danged expensive. you could spend $800 on a riding suit and still be on the low end. I do plan on getting some as finances allow. but I always wear at least jeans and denim jacket (better than nothing) and gloves. I would never ride in shorts, but won't look down on others for it.
          i hear you on finacial reasons, But man ever price skin graphs? seriously if money is your reason you might consider a less expensive hobby. i fall with jeans on all the time rollerblading the jeans tear like they arent even there while going maybe 5mph. i hear people all the time say they wear jeans as protection... but its not going to help any at all in a crash jeans vs shorts is no difference to me.

just my opinions of course.
          03 katanika

Comment

When I see no gear, It just reminds me of the type of reckless mindsets some riders have.
            Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

It all comes down to how much you value your own skin..and life for that matter. Wearing gear is no guarantee that you would survive a major crash but it sure increases your odds dramatically. We have no room to judge anybody on anything, much less whether or not they choose to wear gear or not when they ride. But my own peace of mind, there aint no way Im getting on a bike without gear.

Comment

I'm guessing, based on things that have been said to me, that most riders who are gear-less either have superb confidence in their skills (and/or perceive a much lower risk factor, possibly because of how & what they ride) -- and they wonder why we geared up super-ricers:
                (A) Act like we're going to wreck all the time;
                (B) have to go that damn fast (gee, pops, did you have your HD up to 75 yet this year?);
                (C) all wear stuff that looks the same (well, to them).

I've gotten asked about the above several times by the harley and harley-esque crews (sunglasses & bandana's, jeans & a tshirt types), including how I can stand to ride with someone else's logo on my gear without sponsorship $$ in exchange.
                Personally, I really don't care about the logos on the gear except to reassure myself that I got what I ordered (and a certain quality as a result), but I can see the mentality of laid-back slow-cruising driving a certain less risky, less wreckless vision of the world. One I perceive as a false vision (idealized fantasy), but still a commonly held one.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I feel it is up to a person on what they want and do not want to wear. I also think it is stoopid to look at every rider out there that doesn't wear gear and label them a "Squid". Just because you don't wear gear doesn't make you a squid, its when you act reckless and do stupid things around others, and put others in danger do you cross the line to become a squid.

Here in Bama, they have a helmet law. I always wear jeans (wore shorts once, and didn't like how the wind felt on my leg hair, felt kinda weird) I do ride in just Short sleeves sometimes though. It is my choice, and I understand the possible consiquenses of my choice should I happen to go down. But it is my own personal choice on what I wear and what I don't wear.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

It just doesn't make any sense to me...

Just today, after coming home from my first 4 hour ride, I had bugs splattered all over the frick'n place. My helmet look a mess. The Kat was all bug guts. I even had a wasp go through the helmet vent to the inside of my visor ... Oh that was fun. Got it out on the straight away thank God. :blueangel

How do they ride with nothing... ecspecially no helmet ?
                    2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

For anyone who doesn't think they can afford gear, AGVSport now sells FULL suits for $325 on Kneedraggers!

So don't be complainin' about prices! If ya can't afford to protect yourself, why in the world would you want to get on a bike in the first place?!

It IS possible to protect yourself, even on a tight budget:

AGV Forza suit $325
                      Z1R ZR-1 helmet $80(which SMOKED the majority of other helmets in recent tests - had one of the lowest overall G-forces transferred to the brain)
                      Joe Rocket Blaster Glove $36
                      Joe Rocket GPX boot $110

So for ~$550, you can get FULL leather gear brand new....Hell, I know guys who spend more than that on a jacket alone.....so there ARE some cost effective alternatives!
                      FrankenKat 1216
                      GS Fiter 816
                      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

One thing I've consistingly noticed is that most people that wear gear neglect pants. Why is that? I feel you are very likely to injure knees and slide on you legs in an accident. Any thoughts?
                        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

OK, I really didn't intend to make this a "gear vs. no gear" dispute. I know that most everyone here thinks gear is a must, but also believe it is every persons choice as to whether or not they wear gear. I don't think people who don't wear gear are squids, but I always wonder how they can ride the way they do and feel comfortable. I wouldn't have as much confidence when riding without gear. That's me. They make their choice for whatever reason and that OK too.

Thanks for your input CP, that's what I was really wondering - what do the guys who wear no gear think of us? Do they think we ride like lunatics so we'd better gear up? Do they maybe think our bikes are faster and potentially more dangerous? I was just curious. Nothing more than that.

OK, I gotta get ready to help out with the Easter prep. Kids already found all the eggs so they are very occupied opening them all up (the plastic eggs with candy in them). Now I must help my wife or put my gear on and prepare for the beating of a lifetime

Happy holidays everyone!
                          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
                            I'm not getting into the gear vs. no gear dispute, wear what you want. I've got a closet full, but still ride in jeans most of the time.

However, I hear this financial excuse all the time and it's BS. If you could afford a bike, you could have bought gear. You just placed getting a motorcycle higher on your list of priorities than protecting your self. If you really cared about protection, you'd have spent money on gear, then saved up to buy a bike.

It's all just a question of priorites.

BTW, as has already been said...you can get gear a lot cheaper than $800.
                            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

What's my perception of someone who rides without gear? They're either willfully ignorant or they have a different risk management profile than I do. By the way: I respect someone who smokes while riding with no helmet. At least they're consistent!

Denim is not protective gear if you ride in 2nd gear or above. It abrades away to nothing in a quick easy lowside.

I don't ride farther than my driveway without helmet, gloves, jacket, overpants, and boots. Everything is armored and abrasion resistant, not just a cute leather jacket from the mall, and not just my hiking boots. I want heel and toe caps and ankle protection too.

If you're on a budget go to NewEnough for their closeouts like textile or mesh. Don't forget boots and gloves.

Comment

Working...
                              X