X

Heavy Clutch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Clutch?

I just got a 92 Kat 600 and have noticed that the action on the clutch is much heavier (harder to pull) than other bikes I've been on. My friends 2002 SV650S feels like no resistance compared to mine. I know it just had the cable replaced so that is good. Are the clutches on these bikes just heavy or is there some adjustment or is this normal? If not i guess I'll just end up with a really strong left hand Thanks guys....Later
    92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

The only thing that I can think of is that the kat has a cable type cluth and most newer bikes have a hydrolic.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

You can modify the clutch tension fairly easy at the clutch cable on the handle end

Comment

My best guess is that the last time the clutch was replaced in your bike, the previous owner had the springs replaced with harder springs as well... it's a common mod for those doing clutch repairs, because the OEM springs can get weak with age.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i think the biggest difference is the newer bikes have hydraulic clutches. my friends' hybusa and SRAD both have hydraulic clutches, and you can pull them with 2 fingers no problem. i didn't know tension adjustment can be made at the handle though, so i'm gonna have to try that and see if it makes a difference. i've actually gotten used to it already, or was anyways...

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
          "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            My best guess is that the last time the clutch was replaced in your bike, the previous owner had the springs replaced with harder springs as well... it's a common mod for those doing clutch repairs, because the OEM springs can get weak with age.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            You beat me to it, the Barnett clutch kit with springs, the springs are so much stiffer that some people only replace half the springs. Like someone already said, Hydraulic clutches have no or a limited amount of resistance.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

try lubing the cable. How much freeplay do you have in the lever? You may need to adjust that. As a rule of thumb you want to be able to just fit a quarter between the housing and the lever before you feel tension.

Comment

I will check the play. I don't think the cable needs to be lubed as it was just changed and set up by a good shop and operates smoothly. The guy I bought it from said it was because the it didn't have the hydro clutch like newer bikes. I was wondering if you guys with pre 98s also experienced this. I don't know if that was normal since every other bike I've been on has been somewhat newer. I'll check my Clymer manual about the clutch tension adjustment on the bars. I adjusted the engage point there but didn't know you could adjust the tension. Not sure how the tensions adjusted but I'm sure the clymer will tell me. Thanks guys......Later
                92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

One thing I experienced when I bought my new kat, fresh out of the dealership, noticed that the clutch handle was hard to pull. Sales guy said not to worry, it would loosen'up after a while.
                  Well, 30 minutes later when I got home, I knew something was not right, because when I released the clutch, it was barely grabbing into gear.
                  And the lever would not go back out all the way, had to push it with my fingers...

Well, took out a ratchet, and ever so slightly unscrewed the nylon nut that holds the lever. You know the one that the lever actually pivots on, well, that did it, everything was smooth from there on... And since it's nylon, it's not meant to be super tight.

Aramis

Comment

yea iv got a 97 with a new cable and its still hard to pull guess its normal

Comment

Working...
                    X