X

Start and go? or warm up ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start and go? or warm up ?

So some of us may have found out the hard way about letting bikes, especially Kats; sit and warm up at an idle for too long, as this can foul out your plugs b/4 u know it if done repeatedly. But anywho,...do you atleast let it warm up for a minute or so w/ the choke on...or just start it up and warm her as you ride?
    Warm up for a minute or so w/ the choke, and away I go
    100.00%
    Start it and go man, thats it.
    0.00%
    Not sure what I should be doing.
    0.00%

let it warm up for a couple of minutes but only a few seconds on the choke.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I will let mine warm up long enough for me to tighten up my helmet, and get my gloves on. Then it is away we go.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I choke for about 30 seconds and then I go. After fire up its a start and go.

Comment

Idle and Go.

Not for to long though.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I idle for a while, but if I am in a hurry, I run it a gear lower than I normally would (keeping the RPMs up) to warm it faster

Comment

Originally posted by crackshot
              I idle for a while, but if I am in a hurry, I run it a gear lower than I normally would (keeping the RPMs up) to warm it faster
              Not to single you out or put down your method, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Technically, the warm up stage for any vehicle is to allow adequate oil flow throughout the entire engine. If it is a cold day and you do not allow it to run long enough, then you are actually damaging the engine at a higher rpm if the oil is not flowing throughout.
              Now as far as just how it runs...throttle response...I basically just let it run long enough to makes sure it is well oiled. I rarely need to choke my 1100. It has to be sitting for several days or be quite cool before I need to choke. And even then it is 1/2 choke. My engine is strange...starts easy without choking...floods easily if I choke too much. I see my buddies start their bikes and they rev quite high for quite a while. Mine won't do that....it will bog down and stall.
              If it is a problem with something, it is a problem I can live with. It means quick goes and does not effect performance.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Let it warm up in chocke for 20 t0 30 sec than go .
                Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

I let her warm up until the choke runs the idle up and I gradually reduce choke until it is at a regular idle, then away I go. I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
                  2000 Kat 600
                  "Fast Blue"
                  Pic in Profile

Comment

i let mine run while i put my helmet and gloves on as well, but what is this "choke" you speak of?

03 SV650, fuel injected

Comment

Definitely let it warm up.

Only time to start & go is when it's already warm.
                      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I normally let it warm up for a minute or so if it is cold outside, or if the bike is cold.

Let it run while putting on helmet and gloves if it is warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                          I let her warm up until the choke runs the idle up and I gradually reduce choke until it is at a regular idle, then away I go. I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
                          same here

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                            I do the same thing. If i dont let mine warm up enough it cuts out and will die on me when i hit the gas. the book says to warm it at 2000 RPM so I just keep adjusting my choke so that my RPM stay around 2000. as its warming I continually take choke off and hit the throttle to see if its going to die or not. if it is then i warm it up a little more.
                            -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

I let it run on the choke until it can idle at 1K by itself, by this time the engine is warm enough to have good oil flow and throttle response.
                              Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X