X

Boots or shoes whats the deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cupofresh View Post
    So are you all wearing your riding boots and jacket if your making a quick 5-10 min trip? (those of us without a cage). I usually wear my jacket and boots along with carharts for my 5 min commute to work, but yesterday I was heading out to play frisbee with some friends and it was a nice day, so I didn't put on my boots and just left the jacket at home. My ride was 7 min max, and I understand that I took a risk by not wearing my gear on the way there, I just want to know what others do in that situation. Do you wear full gear for a put around town?
    Distance has nothing to do with it, this happened less than .5 miles from my house at only 40 - 45 MPH.

Also 7 broke ribs, a broken leg , bruised lung, bruised and swollen heart.
    Please at least wear a jacket gloves and a helmet.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Dude Wolverines as motorcycle shoes? Are you made of money?!? Lol

Wolverines are my babies.. took me 3 months to really bring myself to being able to afford it

Comment

Here is what amazes me. At least where I live. Avg city street limit is 45mph, avg mountain road limit 40mph. So many people go squid without gear in town yet gear up for battle going out to the twisties. If you ride responsibly, the most probable place you will use the gear is in the city, not on your trip to the country side. With that said, I wear work boots all week so I find them very comfortable. Going around town I would leave my mc boots home and wear my work boots.

Comment

Boots

Since I was taught to ride on an military installation (Ft. Hood), I always ride in some type of boot. We have to ride with some type of over the ankle boot in order to get on post (base). The boot thing is pretty much taken care of anytime i'm going on post. When i'm off post or just riding for fun i'll wear my old black leather army boots, something steel toe, Gortex Boots (military) in the winter, or any type of boot that I may have gotten from The Academy or Wal-Mart. I will not get on my bike without my helmet, jacket, riding kelvar jeans, gloves, and boots. I don't own any official riding boots but my Army boots work fine.

Comment

This year for my birthday, my family got me some Bilt racing style boots. Protection at the shins, ankles, heels and toes, and pretty grippy on the bottom (even in oil). Whenever I'm going out for a ride or riding to work (like today), I'll throw those on. Being that I don't have any luggage, I keep an extra pair of sneakers in my cube for days like today, so I don't have to be uncomfortable and look ridiculous all day (this particular style of boot seems intended to be worn with a full suit). When I go to grab lunch (2 miles up the road), I'll leave on my sneaks. But when it's time to go home, I'll slap the boots back on. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm squidding part time.

Comment

Courtesy of having big feet and a huge Craigslist market near me I ended up spending more on my boots than the rest of my gear combined. Two $50 CL jackets (this is Seattle after all...rain happens), two CL pants $25 & $50, almost as new helmet from a friend $50, boots...new Euro size 50 A-Stars Web Goretex $250, worth every penny.

Also, having twins who are always watching, as well as being less than two years away from driving themselves, is a great motivator to supply them a proper example. I wear gear (helmet, jacket, pants, gloves & boots) every time I'm on the bike. If the trip isn't worth suiting up for than I take the van or car.

My son got his first chance to ride a small dirt bike (first time ever on a motorcycle of any kind) at a friends house recently, made me proud. Wouldn't even get on the bike till he had a helmet, gloves, long pants and riding jacket on. Rode it pretty well, too! Surprised himself by catching a little air off a whoop-de-do. Landed it and rode on...

ATGATT
              Last edited by skjeflo; 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I wear tennis shoes with a hard ankle support and lace covers, i bought a pair of gary payton glove tennis shoes just for riding, they look cool and are as good as any riding shoe ive found
                Attached Files
                its raining out back in your cage!!

Comment

Originally posted by bbcchance View Post
                  I wear tennis shoes with a hard ankle support and lace covers, i bought a pair of gary payton glove tennis shoes just for riding, they look cool and are as good as any riding shoe ive found
                  Sorry, maybe I've just watched too many crash videos, but basketball shoes are made for, surprisingly enough, basketball. The ankle "protection" built into them is made to resist the classic landing bad after a jump (aka landing on the outside edge of the foot) not the forces involved in a bike crash.

Watch a few videos, see how many lose a shoe or two vs those wearing proper boots. I've never seen a proper (high) boot come off. I'd rather deal with the whole process of gearing up then end up with my feet and ankles all chewed up.

Yes, this guy was stunting, but the crash is at relatively low speed:
                  Motorcycle, Crash, Fail, Stutnt, Ambulance, Loses, Shoes, Hurt, Rider
                  Last edited by skjeflo; 06-25-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                    Sorry, maybe I've just watched too many crash videos, but basketball shoes are made for, surprisingly enough, basketball. The ankle "protection" built into them is made to resist the classic landing bad after a jump (aka landing on the outside edge of the foot) not the forces involved in a bike crash.

Watch a few videos, see how many lose a shoe or two vs those wearing proper boots. I've never see a proper (high) boot come off. I'd rather deal with the whole process of gearing up then end up with my feet and ankles all chewed up.

Yes, this guy was stunting, but the crash is at relatively low speed:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6KZs3XODjU
                    OUCH! A lot of that could have be avoided with the proper gear...
                    2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Working...
                    X