X

WHAT REAR TIRE EVERY ONE USE ON THERE -98 KAT

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT REAR TIRE EVERY ONE USE ON THERE -98 KAT

I HAVE TO BUY A NEW REAR TIRE MY FRONT TIRE IS FACTORY SPECT110/80/17 AND I NEED TO GET A NEW REAR SO WHAT EVERYONE USING???
    "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

Big Go ahead and replce botht the front and rear tires. Bike handles better when you the same tires on front and rear. Now with that said. You can run M1 sporttechs, Dunlop GT501(in stock size), Michillens, Pirelli. They are all great tire brands it all depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing. Since I like to ride the twisties alot I like the M1 Sporttechs from Metezler. The Diablos from Pirelli would be good for this too. So think about what type riding you are going to the most and go from there. On our year bikes other the stock tire size the 110/70 and 150/60 tire sizes are a good set up for our bikes other the stock tire size of 110/80 and 150/70.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

x2 on the replacing both tires. If you are able to, thats the way to go. I really like pilots alot myself, which is probably what I'll go w/ when the time comes.

Comment

I want a tire that can handle carrying my fat ass in the twisties, but won't wear like track tires....

Comment

metzler z6's 120/70 and 150/60

Comment

The 501GT's will work, but I refuse to recommend bias tires for Katana riders because when a bias tire loses air, it quickly deforms, while a radial retains it shape significantly better (this means if you're in a turn when the tire gets punctured, you'll probably make it through on the radial, and you'll probably bite it with a bias tire). One of our riders [kwebbel] has great pics about this -- his tire took a 2.25" long x 1/2" gash in it during a high speed curve (truck part laying in the road) and he didn't wipe at all because the [radial] tire held it's shape until he came to a stop.

Personally, my recommendation for your bike is:
            120/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 front
            150/70ZR17 Metzeler Z6 rear.
            Note that the "R" stands for Radial.

These are also the max sizes the stock pre-98 rims can safely mount.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              The 501GT's will work, but I refuse to recommend bias tires for Katana riders because when a bias tire loses air, it quickly deforms, while a radial retains it shape significantly better (this means if you're in a turn when the tire gets punctured, you'll probably make it through on the radial, and you'll probably bite it with a bias tire). One of our riders [kwebbel] has great pics about this -- his tire took a 2.25" long x 1/2" gash in it during a high speed curve (truck part laying in the road) and he didn't wipe at all because the [radial] tire held it's shape until he came to a stop.

For some reason, my comment didn't take. What I said was the I went with the Z6 on the front based on Cyber's recommendation and I love it. I will go with the Z6 on the rear as soon as the one I have wears out. Cyber has done some fairly extensive tire testing, so he should know.

Ditto...I put on a Z6 on the front after reading some of Cyber's tire recommendations. I love it. I didn't put on a Z6 on the rear yet, but I will as soon as my current rear wears out. You can't go wrong with Cyber's advice.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

damn got my bike today and i look at the rear tire and it was a metzler 140/80/vb17 in the rear and front it was 110/80 /17front is this normal and what does the vb stand for oh does anyone know where i can get a good package dael on tires

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                  damn got my bike today and i look at the rear tire and it was a metzler 140/80/vb17 in the rear and front it was 110/80 /17front is this normal and what does the vb stand for oh does anyone know where i can get a good package dael on tires
                  Which Metzelers? Sounds like you got the Metzeler ME1 CompK, which is V-rated for speed and a bias tire (hence the "b" in the description). You may have also gotten the LaserTecs instead (which have similar ratings, but have a radically different tread pattern, one which I don't like using in the USA because of certain issues in road surface design). The ME1 CompK's are slated for obsoletion, and I thought production on those stopped a couple years ago, so you may want to check the manufacture date on the sidewall.
                  You can find how to read Metzeler's tire imprint descriptions at Metzeler Moto.com - Markings

The cheapest I've found the Z6's for currently is americanmototire.com, for about $187 + shipping for both front and back.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Metzeler ME1 CompK are the the ones that are on my bike previous owner put them on but now the rear is blad but the front is good so what should i get to replace the rear i have about 125 to spend

Comment

Originally posted by bigtwan251975
                      Metzeler ME1 CompK are the the ones that are on my bike previous owner put them on but now the rear is blad but the front is good so what should i get to replace the rear i have about 125 to spend
                      Scrape together the extra $$, buy the Z6's, and sell the front CompK on eBay...

OK, if that's truly not feasible, get the Z6 rear and start saving your pennies real fast to pick up a Z6 front. It's not advisable to ride with different makes of tires for a variety of reasons, including:
                      (A) The pattern of the tread of the front is designed to work with the pattern of the tread in the back to provide an unified sweep of water and other sweepable liquids & grains;
                      (B) The arc design of the tires are designed to work together to provide even handling without inducing undue stress on the frame (to keep the frame from flexing excessively).
                      After you get the Z6 front, sell the CompK that's still good. Remember that you budget has to have room for mounting as well...

There are no tire sets on the market where you can get both tires for $125, except chen shins (and other rebranded versions of Chen Shins), and I wouldn't recommend them on a Kat to even my worst enemy.

Good Luck!
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have that dunlop GT501 and i know its not a good idea to have it but man that tire is awesome, holds the road good great in the rain, oh yea and doesnt slip around too much when im drag racing either, plus i dont have money to buy a new tire

Comment

switch out the swingarm with a wider one, then just run a fatty back there. it'll work out just fine
                          if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

ok i got them ordered

just order them they sould be here tuesday

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

$221.00 for both i love the internet i saved 70bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X