X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks awesome! Sweet old kitty

Also loving the fact that it's in the kitchen. I'm moving in a couple months. One criteria for a new place is that I can fit my bike(s) inside. Have a stupid 90* turn in a narrow hallway that prevents it right now.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

My wife is the understanding type. You should see the rest of the house

Comment

It looks great, man..... This is exciting, since mine is under cover in the garage freezing it's a** off right now and can't get out. Keep the pics coming. The clip-ons are on their way.
        GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

I hung the pipes up and hand turned the bolts to get an idea how she looked. The pipes cleaned up nice. Body work fit better after putting in all the correct rubber required. I had set the tank and just put a few bolts in to hold it without putting the rubber block and rubber grommets for the tank mounting bolts. Working late will get you sometimes.

Feel for yall with that cold weather and snow. I lived up north of Green Bay in a log cabin with no power with a lawyers daughter when I was 19. Worked 6 - 12hour days a week outside for Bay shipbuilders, so I know the drill. We usually don't get too cold here, but we have to sweat out weather events of our own. Katrina left me with out power for weeks, Gustav and Ike almost a month. Summer time ain't nice down here without AC.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by branumhawk; 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Those look great. haven't seen a Supertrapp pipe in awhile.

Comment

I was looking back at my couple posts in 2010 when I got the bike, and then disappeared for a couple years. Was interested and uninformed and in time found out more or less what I had and began accumulating parts. Almost 5 years ago.

My seat came in today and I think it looks great. I will get a silver and blue one sometime later and I finished a good bit of tidying up. Clip ons were great and fit the fork tubes now. Still to paint the end piece on tail, figure out the seat lock (I have two but both have issues.) I am waiting on front brake master cylinder and reservoir for rear. Also have new header bolts to install. Need mirrors and a bunch of other stuff but the bike is really getting there now.

Added a lot of new hardware, screws, mounted rear shocks with chrome crown nuts, new rubber plugs for cylinder. Going to go over bike and parts I have left and try to make sure I have everything installed. Being at least 3 years since I took it apart, I keep finding stuff I forgot about.

Rolled it outside to see the sun and take a few pics. Lot of hours since I started, not finished yet. Worth every minute.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
                I was looking back at my couple posts in 2010 when I got the bike, and then disappeared for a couple years. Was interested and uninformed and in time found out more or less what I had and began accumulating parts. Almost 5 years ago.

My seat came in today and I think it looks great. I will get a silver and blue one sometime later and I finished a good bit of tidying up. Clip ons were great and fit the fork tubes now. Still to paint the end piece on tail, figure out the seat lock (I have two but both have issues.) I am waiting on front brake master cylinder and reservoir for rear. Also have new header bolts to install. Need mirrors and a bunch of other stuff but the bike is really getting there now.

Added a lot of new hardware, screws, mounted rear shocks with chrome crown nuts, new rubber plugs for cylinder. Going to go over bike and parts I have left and try to make sure I have everything installed. Being at least 3 years since I took it apart, I keep finding stuff I forgot about.

Rolled it outside to see the sun and take a few pics. Lot of hours since I started, not finished yet. Worth every minute.
                Looking very good..... Bike bandit still sells OEM seat locks:

Comment

For the difference between the lock set price and the whole lock it doesn't pay to fool around waiting for WD40 to loosen up the works in the one lock I have that is complete other than lock set. Scored some new old stock correct katana mirrors last night on ebay last night.

I am going to have a lot of small parts left over. As I went through my trays of stuff and started laying it out on some shelves so I could easily see it, I am going to need more shelves. Got a few more puzzle pieces to put together.

Next thing is going to be to clean and refurbish if needed the complete top end I picked up. It's looks to have very little wear and I have access to an automotive machine shop with bead blasters, part washers and friend that will test it and help me do whatever needs to be done to get it right.

Didn't realize I had accumulated so much.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like I came to the party late. Nice job on the rebuild. I can't believe the transformation. Awesome

Comment

I keep going back to this thread as my recently acquired Kat will need the same treatment. How difficult was it to pull the motor out? Is it a two man job?

Comment

I'm late to. Nice rebuild. My 1983 Kat 1100 has been sitting in my parents garage for 20 years, I've owned it since 1984. I just picked it up on Sunday and started tearing it down today. The restoration will take some time but I'm determined to get it done. First plan of attack is to sandblast the frame and have painted and or power coated.

hey Speirmoor
                        I see that you are in NYC. I'm nearby in Jersey City. If you need a hand, let me know. Not many Kat owners in this area....I have two (1100 & 750) and my buddy has two 1000s.

hey Speirmoor
                        I see that you are in NYC. I'm nearby in Jersey City. If you need a hand, let me know. Not many Kat owners in this area....I have two (1100 & 750) and my buddy has two 1000s.
                        Last edited by coyote; 04-21-2015, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by coyote View Post
                          hey Speirmoor
                          Great Coyote PM sent

Comment

Hey guys, I had lost my password and just got it back finally. I removed and reinstalled the engine myself but it would be easier to have an extra set of hands to lift frame off the motor.

I layed it on its side on some plywood and wrapped frame around likely scuff areas with some protective stuff. The little case cover top with 4 bolts has to be removed, but it was pretty easy.

I have done some upgrades and worked out some more details and will post some pics a bit later. Looking forward to seeing your progress on your restorations. I may even have some extra small parts I can help you out with. Have a good one.

Comment

I picked up a cheap windscreen for 20 bucks from Japan, along with a new used headlight and bracket, the correct front brake lines for the an anti-dive setup as well and NOS mirrors. Here are couple more recent pics.

Will post some more later. Upgraded the right bar switch, did some more cable routing changes, installed all the blinkers. Will update it as have some time. Now that I can get back on again.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by branumhawk; 04-24-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Looking good, Josh. I hope you can get the seat over at GSR.

Comment

Working...
                                X