X

1st Valve Adjustment... AHH!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Valve Adjustment... AHH!!

After reading many posts concerning valve adjustments, I still haven't decided if I want to,

a) Take my bike in and pay the 3-400 dollars for a mechanic to do this, including resyncing the carbs, or

b) Attempt this myself, possibly with the help of another rider who feels comfortable with this procedure.

Some folks say its relativly easy, and some have run into some serious problems. To be honest I usually have no concern taking on challenging tasks like this, but, as my KAT is my sole mode of transportation, and I am a newb at best when it comes to engine work, I have adopted some reservations against "winging it". I have a general motorcycle manual from Zimmerman, but it doesn't include valve adjustment procedures. I have the service manual for my bike as well; although that doesnt protect my bike from a beginners mishaps.

So, I was wondering, what do you guys think about it? How did your first valve adjustment go? Is this something that I should attempt to tackle, or not? I really want to learn how to do this, as I plan on riding well into my retirement I have only had a limited amount of time to invest in working on my bike due to school, so I may not be as prepared as I should be this time around.
    I did read on CPs site the walkthrough that Trinc wrote up, but things are still a little cloudy... (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/valve.htm)

Any comments, suggestions or help is SUPER appreciated! If there is anyone in the area who has the time to give me a hand, drop me a line! I would be happy to compensate you for your time....

Thanks in advance!

I just adjusted the valves, installed gsxr cams, bought a sync tool and synced my carbs for the first time, i have never done any thing like that before and it was pretty simple.

I dont know the skills you have but if you want to learn how to do it then do the research and do it, it never hurts to learn. i followed that same write up from trinc for the carb sync mine runs great

Comment

Download the service manual available here (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56167). The steps are fairly easy to understand. And even though it says it's for up to '02, it'll work for your bike as well.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

My memory of "serious problems" revolves around stripped bolts etc.. If you use the right tools and take your time it should be easy. We have so many KR members in FLA I find it hard to believe there isn't someone near by who for a Hooters lunch or a few beers after the job wouldn't lend a hand. However since it is your sole means of transportation I wouldn't blame you one bit for having the dealer do it. Especially if it includes a carb synch.

Comment

Problem with having the dealer do it is that the bike is going to have to sit for a day unless someone hauls it there. Because the bike needs to be cool for a valve adjustment, you can't just ride it in and wait. That's usually a next day situation.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

I'm in orlando and I could help you out, but I have no idea how you'd get the bike here...it'll have to sit overnight for it to cool down.
            Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
            18v Rigid Drill
            Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
            New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I used the info from http://www.billsbikesnservice.com/cam.htm along with the info on CP's site when I did my valve adjustment.

Comment

Wow i love that last link,wcj. That could help alot, thanks. I think I have all the right tools for the valve adjustment, but i dont have the vacuum gauge thingy neede for the carb sync.

I have some time off during spring break in april, the week of the 10th. If you are free then I may take you up on that offer, reconstyle. Let me know.

Did any of you need a random tool, not mentioned in any walkthrough? I hate gettin everything apart just to find out i need to ride to the store to get something else! Very inefficient when all you have is the bike you're working on,

Comment

do you have the right feeler gauges?

Comment

All you really need are a standard socket set, some allen wrenches, a couple feeler gauges and the little square nut screw driver thing.

I'll definitely be around in April just let me know....
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Reading this helped me....thanks guys
                      American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

I would love nothing more than to dive in and do mine right now, but sadly, due to my extended warranty, I'm stuck paying the dealership to do it. the only nice thing is that the techs are pretty cool about dropping time off the ticket if I pull all the fairings off. Last adjustment cost me about 120 with tax.
                        Currently Kat-less....but still in love with them.

And as I hit 6th gear, I forgot what she said...

Comment

you don't technically need the tappet adjuster, you can adjust the tappets with just about anything. It does make life easier though.

Comment

Id loan you the feeler gauge and adjustment tool, but for the cost of shipping, you could probably buy them and have tools for the toolbox.

Comment

Originally posted by cereal_killer View Post
                              I would love nothing more than to dive in and do mine right now, but sadly, due to my extended warranty, I'm stuck paying the dealership to do it. the only nice thing is that the techs are pretty cool about dropping time off the ticket if I pull all the fairings off. Last adjustment cost me about 120 with tax.
                              Extended warranty?

Did you buy from a ride now dealership?

If so, I would get a refund on that warranty. It's worthless, I got suckered into buying one when I got my bike, but after the initial service i realized that it was a waste of my time and I could do all the maintenance myself. So I went in, and they prorated me the remainder of what I had left on it, which was about 80% of the cost.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Working...
                              X