X

valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjustment

time for a valve adjust only thing is i have a ignition advancer installed is there something i have to do differentlly because of this

No.. it will adjust out the same as with stock.

Just be sure you get the LINE on the advancer lined up with the pickup. Just like the book says. If you compare the two side by side, the T line (I think) is in the same spot, but the metal "spikes" are what is off slightly.

Good luck.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

THANKS FOR INFO

Comment

you can use a long screwdriver in you spark plug opening to know when you hit tdc. learned this from someone on this site. I took it one step forward. I broke the sparkplug insulater and fit a bushing which holds a dial indicator. Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
          you can use a long screwdriver in you spark plug opening to know when you hit tdc..
          Much easier way is just to look at the cams though, right?

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

In theory , the notches on the cams face together or apart based on where you've got the rotor , but the books say not to go by JUST that , as it can sometimes be unreliable for some reason . Besides , it's kinda hard to tell if the notches are EXACLY facing or opposing each other , I tried going by just that once .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i did mine about 6 months ago for the first time and this weekend i am doing it again.(i think i hear a slight tap)what was the gap clearance again?and md what other way do you do it?i used the marks and t mark?thanks and sorry to bring this back to life.

Comment

I look at the actual cam lobes compared to the valve stems/tappets and go off that.

Gap clearances, 98+ (both engine sizes):
                Intake: .004 - .006"
                Exhaust: .007 - .009"
                It's always listed here too:
                motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so if i go by the lobes,i guess you measure when they are not touching the rockers right?and if so do i even need to remove the side cover?thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                    so if i go by the lobes,i guess you measure when they are not touching the rockers right?and if so do i even need to remove the side cover?thanks
                    You mean the fairings or the timing signal cover? You need to remove the timing signal cover to get access to the rotor so you can rotate the engine to get the cam lobes where they need to be whether you look at the marks on the ends of the cams or not. The fairings are debatable, but I have always stripped the fairings off to do a valve adjustment -- I'm scared I'll scratch them up otherwise.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

lol me too!i mean the signal cover.so i can just measure the gap as long as the rockers are not touching the lobes.and i guess you would be unable to tap the starter button to rotate the engine? thanks cp

Comment

lol me too!i mean the signal cover.so i can just measure the gap as long as the rockers are not touching the lobes.and i guess you would be unable to tap the starter button to rotate the engine? thanks cp
                        I look for the lobes to be (90?) degrees off of peak activation -- some years ago, I used to look at the cam ends and kind of figured out exactly where the lobes are by comparison and just go by that. Suggest you do the same, or stick to using the timing marks on the cam ends.

I would strongly discourage you from using the starter to rotate the engine during a valve adjustment. there are just too many things that might go wrong... It takes just a minute or so to uncover the timing signal cover.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cool thanx

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            I look at the actual cam lobes compared to the valve stems/tappets and go off that.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            hey i have a ? for you guys.i am setting my valves today and CP has the intake valves at .004-.006 and the ex. at .007-.009.and the repair manual has them at intake 0.10-0.15 and the ex. at 0.18-0.23.what gives?i trust cp more then the manual but i want to ask so i dont have to do this anytime soon.thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              hey i have a ? for you guys.i am setting my valves today and CP has the intake valves at .004-.006 and the ex. at .007-.009.and the repair manual has them at intake 0.10-0.15 and the ex. at 0.18-0.23.what gives?i trust cp more then the manual but i want to ask so i dont have to do this anytime soon.thanks
                              I checked your profile and it looks like we have identical bikes (2005 750).

Per Suzuki's manual under section 2.3 periodic maintenance:

Valve clearance (when cold):

In.: 0.10-0.15 mm (0.004-0.006 in.)
                              Ex.: 0.18-0.23 mm (0.007-0.009 in.)

The units is what threw you off. Don't be afraid to question things; that's how we all grow.

Have fun and take your time!

Comment

Working...
                              X