X

Thinking of buying a broken CBR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by latenight View Post
    So I joined a cbr1000 forum for advice as well, but everyone on this forum seems incredibly knowledgeable about other brands as well, so though I'd post up.

I am looking at a 2002 honda cbr blackbird close to where I live. The guy says he bought it as a project bike but is no longer motivated.

In talking with him, he says $1500 is fine. He says there are no fairings on the bike. He says it needs a clutch slave cylinder. He seems to not really be an expert nor have really spent much time looking into it. But hey, I'm not expert and spent a lot of time and effort getting my Kat running... just lucky there were no MAJOR jobs I needed to do!

The bike is fuel injected, and currently only starts with starter fluid up the airbox. From reviewing the cbr forum, I understand this means it is a problem with the fuel system (narrowed down... sort of)....

Could I just ask for peoples' opinions. $1500 for a bike that def needs a clutch slave cylinder (looks like $30 on ebay), plus an undiagnosed fuel problem. The bike is close by, so if anyone told me specific things to look for I could go to try to diagnose before buying... Anything to look for? Does this seem like a steal? or can FI things add up quick?

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated!
    A passed on project like this sounds plenty of alarm bells. How expensive will it be to repair, if it can be repaired at all? The only thing you have is the sellers word, and you have nothing to say if it turns out a nightmare.
    All that aside, 1500 bucks? Are you sh****ng me?
    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

id pass personally . if you ar elooking for a project i would persue something that runs at least
      im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
        All that aside, 1500 bucks? Are you sh****ng me?

...meaning its a lot of cash?

Comment

Originally posted by latenight View Post
          ...meaning its a lot of cash?
          Yeah. Sorry for the language. If you don't know what you're going to find or how much it's going to cost you, I think $1500 is simply too much. It might all work out fine but it's a real big gamble you'd have to take there.
          Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Working...
          X