X

Thinking of buying a broken CBR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
    Don't take this personally. Only people who don't really understand EFI systems think like this. They really aren't that difficult if you can run a multimeter. Fo srs.

Odds are you will spend less money on a bike with EFI than carbs over the life of the fuel system. True story.
    I do take that personally as i do high perfomance work ob cars with custom efi systems and im telling you carbs are much simpler to diagnose than an efi, one electrical problem that may not even directly involve the fuel system can throw the whole thing off and bikes may be way simpler efi is still harder to diagnose issues, much more than a multi meter
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
      I do take that personally as i do high perfomance work ob cars with custom efi systems and im telling you carbs are much simpler to diagnose than an efi, one electrical problem that may not even directly involve the fuel system can throw the whole thing off and bikes may be way simpler efi is still harder to diagnose issues, much more than a multi meter
      You can't compare bikes vs cars when it comes to EFI. The systems operating principles are the same, but the parts involved are different. Bikes have built in diagnosing, while most cars require a reader. Really, with a proper reader EFI is much simpler than carbs. Plug the computer in, get the code, replace the part. With carbs it's tear it down, dip them, check the jets, replace o-rings, check float height, blah blah blah. If carbs were simpler, more reliable and less troublesome, they'd still be in use today, no?

Based on the issues I see here and my EFI experience I can tell you that carbs are more difficult to diagnose than EFI. EFI is easy, either the **** works or it don't. Carbs have so many levels of in between it's not even funny. Two different view points I guess.

Comment

I never said better but they are easier to "DIAGNOSE" they are a harder tune and less fuel efiecient but simpler to fix, and i know all about readers, let me ask you a question about your efi experience, are you a mechanic?

also the parts involved are the same, be it a car, bike, or snowmobile for that matter
        Last edited by blitz2190; 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM.
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

Sorry. I guess I'll go back under my rock. Maybe I don't know what I think I know.

Since I've been told that my other post was completely wrong, I've changed my mind. Carbs are so much easier than FI.

My point was, if you have mechanical aptitude, you will not have a problem working on FI. If there is a problem, you will probably spend more money repairing FI vs. a carburetor.

I was about to rant but......I'll save it.

Tom

Comment

I don't see how 05RedKat600 being a working mechanic or not has anything to do with the fact that he is right. EFI is in fact a lot simpler to diagnose, especially if you have the right tools. Being a mechanic, you should know this. The proper scan tool will allow you to read everything within the system (pressures/voltages), change parameters, and actuate parts individually. Anything that can't be diagnosed with a scan tool can be done with a DVOM.

There is no figuring/guessing what circuit in a carb is at fault, then figuring what needs to be done to correct it, then going in to fix it. Fully cleaning a carb and rebuilding it is not diagnosing a carb.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
              Fully cleaning a carb and rebuilding it is not diagnosing a carb.
              No, it's not. It's just the way to fix whatever the diagnosis is.

Comment

I never said better but they are easier to "DIAGNOSE" they are a harder tune and less fuel efiecient but simpler to fix, and i know all about readers, let me ask you a question about your efi experience, are you a mechanic?

also the parts involved are the same, be it a car, bike, or snowmobile for that matter
                let me ask about your efi experience, have you ever owned a FI bike?

And cars and bikes are nowhere near the same when it comes to injection...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  let me ask about your efi experience, have you ever owned a FI bike?

And cars and bikes are nowhere near the same when it comes to injection...
                  owned no, worked on yes also efi sleds, as far as parts they all have tps, require rpm and position sensors as well as 02 sensors, they all have fuel pumps and when you work on a system that isn't perfect one simple wire broken or a stuck relay can be a nightmare to diagnose and a reader is not an end all it only know what the computer tells it, that could be another issue if the computer isn't functioning correctly, yes you could throw money at the problem and replace it all but that's not diagnosing it.
                  But I'm done arguing my point you can believe what you wish but until you've worked on a couple thousands then I'll take the advice until then I'll rely on experience.

confused katana build

Comment

owned no, worked on yes also efi sleds, as far as parts they all have tps, require rpm and position sensors as well as 02 sensors, they all have fuel pumps and when you work on a system that isn't perfect one simple wire broken or a stuck relay can be a nightmare to diagnose and a reader is not an end all it only know what the computer tells it, that could be another issue if the computer isn't functioning correctly, yes you could throw money at the problem and replace it all but that's not diagnosing it.
                    But I'm done arguing my point you can believe what you wish but until you've worked on a couple thousands then I'll take the advice until then I'll rely on experience.
                    So all carbs are the same because they all have jets, fuel lines, needles, and slides. Got it.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So all carbs are the same because they all have jets, fuel lines, needles, and slides. Got it.
                      No they don't. Ever worked on a Bendix carb for a mid 70's Harley.

Comment

I'm confused at what point did I ever say this , it all comes down to experience and I'm pretty sure as a mechanic I have more than a vet sorry to be blunt but... i hate when people consider working on motors easy

confused katana build

Comment

i hate when people consider working on motors easy
                          What are you talking about? It IS easy.

Comment

Yea when you have the experience lol, but doesn't it drive you nuts when someone "knows" they can do your job better

confused katana build

Comment

Yea when you have the experience lol, but doesn't it drive you nuts when someone "knows" they can do your job better
                              No, it drove me nuts for a while, but now I just laugh. You can't change the world or anyone's opinion on the internet. After the amount of fail I have seen from people who say they know what they are doing, it's just funny.

Comment

I'm confused at what point did I ever say this , it all comes down to experience and I'm pretty sure as a mechanic I have more than a vet sorry to be blunt but... i hate when people consider working on motors easy
                                Whatever you say dude. Experience is great, but EFI on a bike is still easy as **** to work on, just as easy as a carb.

Comment

Working...
                                X