X

What Year R6 Shock Do I Need For A Pre

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Year R6 Shock Do I Need For A Pre

Been getting several PM's with members asking what year R6 shock is the best for my pre, I have also been getting alot of will this year R6 shock work.

IMO the 08+ R6 Shock is the best choice as it is the easiest to fit without modding anything and it has all the adjustment range you could want. The only issue is the R6 shocks normally have a 12mm bolt for the lower clevis and the kat takes a 10mm bolt so you will need bushings to reduce the clevis hole down to 10mm. The 08+ R6 shock will lower the rear of the kat about 3/4" (19mm).

I am posting a image of what the 08+ R6 shock looks like and where the adjustments are.

Hope this helps to answer some questions about adapting the R6 to the pre kat.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 11-01-2013, 11:23 PM.

good thinking big help thanks

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Oh great now they will never find it.

Tmod

Comment

What's the difference between the red and yellow R6 springs, if any?

Comment

rating?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OK don't flame me for this. I bought an 07 R6 shock that has a red spring. Don't know what the color means. I had to raise the battery box by the height of 2 stainless lock washers. I was in a hurry and that was all I had at the time. I did get the bushings from Tmod for the lower shock bolt. Once installed, I haven't looked at it since. This lowered my bike by about an inch and a half. The lowering was noticeable and the ride is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                Are you sure your talking about an 08-09 R6 shock. I have two, one on the Pre 750 and one on the Pre 600 project bike, and both are yellow.

You maybe looking at an R6S or an earlier, say pre 07 R6 shock. I know some of the earlier ones come factory with a red spring.

Or I guess it could be aftermarket spring. Could you post a picture?

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                OK don't flame me for this. I bought an 07 R6 shock that has a red spring. Don't know what the color means. I had to raise the battery box by the height of 2 stainless lock washers. I was in a hurry and that was all I had at the time. I did get the bushings from Tmod for the lower shock bolt. Once installed, I haven't looked at it since. This lowered my bike by about an inch and a half. The lowering was noticeable and the ride is fantastic.
                Thats the problem with the 07 and earlier shocks, but I know there are others that done just what you have and clearanced the battery box.
                No flames if it works it works.
                Richard
                Last edited by ep87; 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                96 Suzuki GSX750F
                89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                05 Yamaha WR450F
                05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Can you raise the height back up somehow? What is the advantage of lowering the back, and will it mess with the handling?
                  1991 GSX600F
                  1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                    I have never seen a stock red spring on a 08+ R6 shock, The difference in rate is the Red one I tested was 9.8 kg/mm and the Yellow was 10.1 kg/mm. Close enough to not matter.

Originally posted by MidwestKAT View Post
                    Can you raise the height back up somehow? What is the advantage of lowering the back, and will it mess with the handling?
                    You can with links but to my understanding the member here that used to make them is no longer making them. It does not hurt the handling but it does remove some ground clearance and you would also need to adjust the front end slightly to bring the geometry back from the rear being lowered.

Tmod

Comment

Tmod,

Do you make the bushings or is there somewhere to come up with the correct bushings?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        I have never seen a stock red spring on a 08+ R6 shock, The difference in rate is the Red one I tested was 9.8 kg/mm and the Yellow was 10.1 kg/mm. Close enough to not matter.
                        Tmod
                        That might just be it, the shock is probably pre 08.
                        Thanks!

Comment

ok so would i need the r6 linkage to or can i use mine thanks ??

Comment

You can use the stock linkage.

Tmod

Comment

R6 shock

I'm in the middle of a pre 750 suspension overhaul. The bike came with an 8in over swingarm. Will the 08 r6 shock work ok, or will it be to soft? Rider weight is 180lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X