X

question about polishing parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about polishing parts

Can the engine, clutch and generator covers be polished? Would the same process as polishing the rims be applied?

About polishing the rims, is the rouge really needed? Airplane stripper, 400,600,1000 girt sandpaper, rubbing compound and chrome polish, right? I'm just trying to get the minimium supplies need to get the job done.

About how many packs of each grit will I need? Thanks for the relpies

3 words...Mothers aluminum polish...

Now then, I believe the covers you mention have some sort of clear coat on them so the Mothers won't work unless you Scotch-Brite em first. You can try the Mothers first and like stated on the jar, if it doesn't turn black instantly, it's overcoated with something. Then either try the Mothers chrome polish or hit them with Scotch-Brite and use the alum polish

Secondly, I assume you want to strip the black from the OEM God awful black rims (IMHO) and leave the centers black?. With that assumption...Yes, stripper will make the first step easier but not necessary. After you tape off the center black. Just power up a Dotco or drill motor with a Scotch-Brite pad and go to town. Get rid of the black and then finish off with Mothers polish.

I have stripped the black off my rims except for the center and riding approx 300 miles per week in everyday dry weather, nee to polish them maybe every month or so to keep the shine.

So, ~$5 for the Scotch-Brite pads and ~$4 for Mothers polish will do ya.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by DayKat; 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM. Reason: Additional info
    It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

That depends on what finish you want..
      If you want smooth polished rims you need the emory cloth, some use those sanding wheels. Scotch-brite is only going to polish the rim it will not give you the smooth look, the Kat rims are textured. I like another members idea:
      (I think it was either HS2020 or meanstrk)
      Step 1. Remove wheels
      Step 2. Drop off at chomers
      Step 3. Replace wheels.

Comment

OK Black peter. Take the easy way out then...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i haven't seen it done yet, but there is chrome powder coating. here's a link to caswell's...I remember seeing a different link with a way more blingy finish but I can't seem to find the link right now.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Thanks for your input chinto but for some reason, I can't comprehend the concept of "blingy" and Katana in the same idea.

Now, "blingy" and Busa yes....Just not a KAt

Comment

there's lots of bling on a lot of kats around here. I think it works:

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Nice idea BP, but my funds are limited...

Comment

Not sure about the chrome belly?? But the closer one looks clean. Oh and did anyone mention to you a WHOLE LOTA ELBOW GREASE!! LOL Good luck my friend
                  It does not matter what you ride as long as it has two wheels and at least one on the ground!

Comment

Yes covers can be polished
                    DON"T touch them with rubbing compound after the 1000 grit wet sand.

Mother's Billet Metal polish - only one to use in my opinion.

Rouge - well not needed, but how good do you want it to look?
                    Couple of links for ya to check out. I have yet to get pics of my clutch cover and brake lever that came out absolutely awsome and my ignition cover is still in the works.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Last edited by Astro4x4; 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

You know, I've read thru the post of others on the process of polishing the rims. "Sandpaper grits 400,600,1000" someone even went as far as 1500 grit, maybe some rouge a little rubbing compound never hurt...and finally, elbow grease. Well, the fact of the matter is I only had to use steel wool, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and "Mother's Polish"...

Comment

Originally posted by 01Kat View Post
                        You know, I've read thru the post of others on the process of polishing the rims. "Sandpaper grits 400,600,1000" someone even went as far as 1500 grit, maybe some rouge a little rubbing compound never hurt...and finally, elbow grease. Well, the fact of the matter is I only had to use steel wool, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and "Mother's Polish"...
                        http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=1008
                        Last edited by bigat06; 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM.
                        Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                        X