X

1100 Kat owners; Let's see it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 Kat owners; Let's see it.

Ok all, let's start this thread off right. If you currently or previously owned an 1100 Kat, post up some pictures and tell us about it.

Even if you've posted up about it before in another thread, let's start this thread off right and see everyone's ride and hear about it.

Just picked it up in the fall, $2300CDN, shady maintenance. Needs to be gone through before riding. Total miles driven by me...1. Not currently tagged or insured.

Needs rubber, brakes, and a heck of a carb cleaning. And then we ROCK!
    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

nice bike...I'll be looking for it on the streets next summer.

Don't be suprised if I say hello.

Comment

I first test rode my Kat in 1990, I rode for 8 miles, I was denied a loan so I had to leave the Kat at the stealership, for the next two years I would stop by the & see the Kat, set on it & dream. In 1992 I was approved for the loan to take the Kat home with me, it had 8.2 miles on it before I rode away from the stealership, I was told that the Kat was pushed around the showroom floor for the two years since I had rode it.

In 1994 I sold the Kat to one of my brothers(what a stupid move) & I bought a cruiser, the reason I sold it was that I liked riding long distances, hated stopping & on the Kat if I rode for 90 miles I had to get off & walk around for 30-60 minutes, the 88 cubic inch Kaw Vulcan, I bought I could ride all day.

In 1999 my L-5 disc ruptured causing sciatic nerve damage, a year after the surgery I tried riding the Kaw which was a bad idea, after trying a couple more times I sold the Kaw & was depressed because for the first time since 1985 I did not have a motorcycle & it was looking like riding a motorcycle again would be a dream. In 2001 a friend told me to try riding a sport bike, with that only one bike came to mind so I called my brother & asked him about the Kat, "It's been sitting in my mother-in-law's garage for the past two years" without being started
        We came to a agreement on price & payment & the Kat came home.

From there a slow rebuild began, a few cosmetic changes until the Kat looked good enough that some who see it for the first time think it's a new bike.

Removed the pin-striping except from the tank, new Metzlers, new wheel bearings front & rear, rebuilt the brake calipers, Gaffer brake/clutch lines, new brake pads front & rear, replaced front turn indicators with truck cab lights converted(by me) to run 1157 bulbs, replaced rear turn indicators Lockhart Phillips Flush mount IIs, replaced the factory mirrors with 2003 GSXR aftermarket mirrors, half tank bra, repainted exhaust with bbq paint with satin finish, polished exhaust tips, brake calipers are now black, replaced front & rear brake rotors.

2006 Replaced Chain & Sprockets. Front sprocket is stock while rear is a 50 tooth. The chain is a 530 XSO X-Ring Drive Chain, it's tight but works real well. Put NGK Iridium plugs in. Replaced the oem air filter with a K&N.

Last edited by GSX1100FL; 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM. Reason: Correcting Photo/Update Info
        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I bought my first 92 1100 in 93, from an estate after the owner passed away. picked it up cheap and rode it for about 120k miles over an eleven year period.....or about. it got to the point that it was smoking so bad from shot rings that I was embarrased to ride it...lol.
          So I decided to rebuild it. In the mean time, I needed another bike, so I hunted down a 93 in great shape. it had 15k miles on it when I found it 11 years old.
          I haven't done much of anything to it. I did put on a set of Jardine slip-ons, which sounded great.....but I got sick of the noise, so I went back to stock. I added a tank bra and a travelcade seat....and that's it. I have about 30k miles on it now. I don't baby it all that much...but I should start to take a little better care of it. Once I get some of my other projects completed, I will pamper this one a bit.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hey GSX1100FL....

did those mirrors bolt right on for a good fit?

and would it be possible to take a pic of the front flashers up close? maybe the mirrors as well. I would like to see the fitment of them. thanks in advance if you can.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Hey GSX1100FL....

did those mirrors bolt right on for a good fit?

and would it be possible to take a pic of the front flashers up close? maybe the mirrors as well. I would like to see the fitment of them. thanks in advance if you can.
              I had to drill two hole under where the factory mirrors connected, I had a friend hold the mirrors over the factory bolt holes but I still had a good shot of my elbows so that killed that idea.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

Comment

The turn indicator base sets flush to the body but the housing sets a little out from the base, I haven't looked for a gasket to fit yet so I guess that's something else to take care of over the winter.

The mirrors are sturdy until the rpms get up to around 6000 then the vibration starts, it's not bad & at 70mph they are still somewhat clear but above that the vibration starts making it impossible to make out if it's a car or pickup in the mirror, as long as the lights aren't flashing I can live with it. Without making some modifications to the factory mounting area & the body the mirrors have to be located to another area.

Comment

Hope this works

Here is my 93 1100
                  some mods -
                  V&H Pipes
                  K&N Filter
                  Modified Airbox
                  Dynojet Carb Kits
                  Fork Springs
                  530 Chain Conversion
                  Galfer Brakes
                  Dot 5 Fluids
                  Mirrors, Turn Signals, High Output headlight
                  Custom luggage braces (so the bags don't sag)
                  Corbin Seat
                  Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

Here's mine

Not a completely updated pic but pretty close.

Some mods include:
                    Custom paint
                    LED integrated Tail light
                    Jet Kit
                    4:1 Yoshi
                    K&N filter
                    Signal lights
                    Horn upgrade
                    License plate mount
                    Shovel chop
                    Tinted windshield
                    Header/pipe paint
                    SS brake lines and caliper paint will be on when the riding season starts up again.

Comment

as you all have seen it befour well here it is a gain tell you about it OK IT's very FAST for a bike it's age it has a 92 gsxr 1127 punched out to 1340cc a 93 gsxr 1100 front end it has at this time 38 mm carbs I have 3 swing arms and rims for it just have not had the time to put one on I have 3 exhaust systems for it four sets of carbs up to 40mm

Comment

beautiful
                        1991 GSX600F
                        1977 KZ750B
                        1980 CB900C

Comment

thank you !

Comment

My second big kitty

Well, not to revive an old thread, but it seems the big kitty's are in short supply. This is my second 1100Kat that I have owned for three weeks now. Saw it on CL and JUMPED on it. Even talked the guy down a couple hundred dollars as I pointed out "simple" fixes. My first was a 1993 1100 purple/grey as most of the 1100's are on here. Bought it brand new in 1995 with only 6 miles on it. I sure regret selling her. Went 5 years before I got back on to ride, and I had been hunting down a hidden gem. I'm fairly tall and the 1100 Kat is about the only bike to fit my size. I still make it look like a moped, but it's fine for me. I have not stopped smiling since I've owned her. Completed an oil change, plugs, valve check, chain lube, carb cleaning and timing change this weekend. I feel satisfied because I did it all MYSELF! Only paid for parts, and have a great sense of accomplishment.

Check it out in the June KOTM vote off. I was lucky enough to be nominated my 1st month in this forum. http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32435
                            ~An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind~
                            1984 GL1200Interstate

Comment

Cornell - how about some detail shots of the LED tailight upgrade? Also- did you raise your bars?- how?

Comment

Working...
                              X