X

a noob question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a noob question

alright due to the katanas at least the older katanas i think 88-97 are all oiled cooled i know my 93 is.. when going long distances should you worry about engine over heating? what are some suggestions when going on long rides or even hard riding...

how do you know if you engine is getting to hot just incase? how long shoudl you wait before continuing the journey?

In really hot temperatures and idleing in stop and go traffic you may have problems. But if you say jumped on the bike and rode all day only stopping for gas you should be OK. As long as your moving at a good speed you should get enough airflow through the rad and over the engine to cool the bike off enough to not overheat.

I know many FZR owners have added a fan to help with overheating, could probably to the same to a Kat if you felt the need.
    Kyle

Comment

With the older Kats overheating is not a problem. They are oil/air cooled engines. So when you are moving the air cools it. Yes it will get a little hot when in traffic but nothing to worry about. If you are that concerned though you could rig a fan to run on it like Woobie said. This would help but it is really not needed. I have a 89 Kat 750 and I run it hard and never had any problems.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Dont have a problem w/ my 98+ either. The kats in general are very good, solid, bikes. Unless ur sitting at an idle for an eternity in super hot temps in traffic, ur generally ok.

Comment

sounds good to me thanks alot just when my bike did work it seemed to get super hot didn't know if it was normal

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
            In really hot temperatures and idleing in stop and go traffic you may have problems. But if you say jumped on the bike and rode all day only stopping for gas you should be OK. As long as your moving at a good speed you should get enough airflow through the rad and over the engine to cool the bike off enough to not overheat.

I know many FZR owners have added a fan to help with overheating, could probably to the same to a Kat if you felt the need.
            um woobie dood a fzr is water cooled it already has a fan all the ones ive seen are the 400's 600's and 1000's ??????

Comment

my 02's always running in cheap oil, (sometimes mixed oil too);
              and i change oil every 5-6 months.....
              never had any issue about over heating

you'll be fine, as long as there's oil in your engine

Comment

Working...
              X